lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2018, 10:11 AM   #1
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Ordered Nissan Leaf batteries

Well I went and did it. Pulled the trigger on a package deal of 14 Nissan Leaf battery pack, Chargery Power battery charger and a battery meter. Decided to spend a little extra coin on the package versus putting one together myself, as I have very minimal experience with electrical.

I'm a little nervous about it not having a BMS. I know there are those that swear by having to have it, and others that do not. Figure I can always add it later.

Anyone out there have an opinion on the BMS?
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2018, 11:47 AM   #2
CrazyDad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ordered Nissan Leaf batteries

Where did you get it? Looking forward to your build.
CrazyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:10 PM   #3
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

BMS- don’t listen to the people that say you don’t need it. Eventually the cells will get out of sync even if you start with a perfectly balanced pack. At some point a cell(s) will either go under volt or over volt since the only observation by the operator, controller and the charger is the total pack voltage. For example, a charger set to shut off at 58.4 volts has no idea that one cell is at 4.2 (leaf cell max) when the pack in total is, say 57.5v, so it keeps charging to 58.4 resulting in that one cell going over the max 4.2. The only way to avoid this would be to constantly monitor individual cell voltages yourself and balance manually when needed. Kind of defeats the purpose of a maintenance free pack and for the time/effort involved for that, I’d much rather buy the BMS and forget about it.

A buddy yesterday was telling me about a guy he knows had his BMS fail and he kept using/charging the cart as normal. Now he has a puffed up battery module (58v Leaf pack). I didn’t ask how long ago the BMS failed. They are still doing some testing to evaluate the extent of damage to the module that’s puffed up.
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:48 PM   #4
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I ordered the package from "azlithium" on ebay. He has done quite a bit of these at different voltages and has a high rating.

Yeah, I'd be getting that puffed up battery out of that pack quickly! I know they usually don't blow, but I wouldn't be pushing my luck if I were them.

Think I'll be looking for a BMS. Any suggestions?
Old 08-01-2018, 12:52 PM   #5
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have the Zeva setup. I was also the first one on BGW to get it. Since then I know of 6 other members with it. I have nothing but great things to say. Functionality is one of highest out there as far as what it can do and what you can adjust, touch screen is awesome and makes it super easy to setup. And for $300 it’s hard to beat. Add the CAN enabled TC charger for another $250 and you have an unbelievable setup that’s all plug and play.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:44 PM   #6
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Why not go with the Chargery BMS24T so it communicates with the charger you ordered?
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:21 AM   #7
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

NCPW, that's what I was starting to look at. Have not had a chance to read up on it. Seems like a logical way to go.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:57 PM   #8
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

I didn’t pay attention to the fact you already have the charger in my last response. Duh.....

It may be worth while to email Ian at Zeva to see if his BMS will communicate through CAN to the Chargery Charger. I think CAN communication is somewhat generic so you don’t need “matching” hardware. But Ian will definitely know. That way you at least may have options on the BMS. When I was originally shopping the biggest turn off about the Chargery BMS was the fact I couldn’t mount the screen on my dash because it’s so big. Otherwise I may have gone with their full setup w/charger. At the end of the day the whole Chargery setup is about the same price as the Zeva BMS and TC charger.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:51 PM   #9
VanillaXtract
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I haven't yet bought a BMS but I plan on it. In the meantime, I have the charger set to 90% so I don't need to worry about overcharging. I do periodically test individual cells to make sure it is staying balanced.
VanillaXtract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:35 PM   #10
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I'm due for batteries. I "sort of" made up my mind to just re-up with T-105's. OTOH.....you "Leaf guys" are swaying me to re-think this issue.

Nothing like waffling .....waffling......waffling......
DaveTM is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium