lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-24-2017, 11:19 PM   #1
SEHunter
Gone Wild

Default Lithium plug and play replacement batteries

Been following the lithium threads here lately and am increasingly becoming interested. Was just searching around the web and see these direct drop in replacement lithium batteries. This is probably already covered but the search function doesn't work on my device for some reason. Are these batteries legit or is there a flaw vs the builds that use the used cells from EV cars with a BMS?

"smart battery" says theirs are a direct swap with LA batteries and the existing charger can even be used. Basically just swapping batteries and bada Bing bada boom, you're running lithiums..
SEHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-25-2017, 02:15 PM   #2
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Lithium plug and play replacement batteries

Here is the link to the Smart Battery site
https://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/

Yes, they look like a nice drop in replacement for anyone with existing 12V batteries. For those with six 8V batteries. it may not be a simple drop in replacement as the battery tray could require some rework. The height of the 12V lithium is about 2" shorter in height than the LA battery, which may help with the fit. Six 8V lithiums would be very expensive and they don't make them.

I could find nothing on the site indicating that the 'existing' LA charger could be used with the new Lithium Smart Battery. They have specific chargers for their batteries.

For the 48V 100AH complete unit with only pos and neg connection to the cart, it could use their 48V charger with a standard CC charger plug thus allowing the use of the existing charge receptacle and its connection to the battery.

If four 12V Smart Batteries are dropped in the cart, with standard battery to battery cables, they will need a special charger with separate connections to each battery to be used.

That is what I saw. But clean and simple for a price.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:24 PM   #3
SEHunter
Gone Wild

My cart actually has 6x 8v. So if you were to compare what you saw, is there enough evidence to go on to make a performance comparison with the diy systems we're seeing now? Or if nothing else, how those compare to the LA batteries they're replacing?

Extra run times are awesome but in my personal application, a healthy set of Trojan batteries last much longer on a charge than i need, so what interests me in addition to longer run times is more performance power available along with shaving off weight. I prefer as many AH as possible and also like the bump in additional volts that come with the EV lithium cells. Maybe those batteries would be a moderate improvement for a 4x 12volt battery cart but without the additional voltage and AH, they probably fall far short of the recent diy BMS systems.

Edit: After looking more at them, this option while super cut and dry and easy is way to expensive for me. Their golf cart kit that includes a charger is $5200 for a 48 volt, 4x -100 AH battery set up. I hope once vendors start to carry a conversion kit that its not that expensive.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:27 AM   #4
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

They seem like a very easy drop in option for golf carts, but like you said, that $5200 price tag is steep. Plus I didn't find any mention of a BMS with their packages. I do like that these are new batteries and not used and come with a life time warranty.

I see they also offer lower AH packages also: 80AH for $4200 and 50AH for $2760.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:52 AM   #5
SEHunter
Gone Wild

Im still fresh in learning more about lithium conversions but something these kits don't offer that I like about the custom diy conversions is how guys are increasing pack voltage to 52, 58, or whatever their controllers are compatible with. This should add more speed and power whereas these drop in batteries stick to original nominal voltage so you would have to assume that while they bring benefits of increased run time, there's probably no performance gains.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:49 AM   #6
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEHunter View Post
Im still fresh in learning more about lithium conversions but something these kits don't offer that I like about the custom diy conversions is how guys are increasing pack voltage to 52, 58, or whatever their controllers are compatible with. This should add more speed and power whereas these drop in batteries stick to original nominal voltage so you would have to assume that while they bring benefits of increased run time, there's probably no performance gains.
Here is a bit of info for you on those batteries taken from their website: Lithium Charger: Purchase a Smart Charger from Smart Battery® specifically designed to charge our lithium ion batteries up to 14.6V. So, with four of them in your cart, total pack fully charged is 58.4V. With that voltage, you will get a tremandous performance boost both from the higher voltage and the loss of 300lbs from the cart.

Expensive but very nice setup. Each battery has its own internal BMS (BPS) as they call it. Thus with four of those batteries in your cart, you will have a charger with 8 leads, two for each charger.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:41 PM   #7
SEHunter
Gone Wild

I meant nominal voltage while in use, not on charge voltage. They say the nominal voltage is 12.8, approximately 2.13 volts per cell. That's the same as LA batteries. I thought some diy guys were adding a couple more cells to increase the nominal voltage from 48 to 52 or more? That's where I thought the performance gains came into play, outside of shedding significant weight.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:30 PM   #8
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

The 14.6V is what they charge each battery to with the lithium charger for a 100% SOC. This is not 'on charge' voltage.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:21 PM   #9
SEHunter
Gone Wild

Gotcha. That's why I need to consult with the more edjumacated at BGW. Either way, unfortunately this option is too rich for my wife's.... er... my blood.

Hopefully there will be a less expensive option on the market soon that BGW vendors will begin to carry.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:25 PM   #10
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

SEHunter, to be perfectly honest, the diy route is not that difficult. Especially with the wealth of knowledge available here at BGW. Plus it’s a fraction of the price of the batteries you note above. $5k is well over double what I have in my lithium conversion.

And to your point about performance increase. I still have a stock motor and all I can say is it’s insane. If I didn’t have a desire for a wheel standing golf cart, the stock motor on a 14 cell lithium pack is way more than most people will ever need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium