lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2016, 04:02 PM   #1
Craptain
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Series parallel in lieu of dc step down converter?

So I have a 36v cart that I was planning on converting to 48v when the batteries wore out. Well the time is now, thanks in part to the wiring being setup to pull 12v out of only two batteries from the pack.

I'm having second thoughts about going 48v mostly because I don't really want the cart to go much faster with kids wanting to drive. The added cost of charger and step down converter don't help, so I'm going to get another six 6v batteries.

As I'm shopping around for a converter I have a duh moment and think, "why don't I just wire the 12v supply in series parallel?" So my question is, are there any drawbacks to this approach? I would probably isolate the 12v with a relay through the key switch and run the memory wire separately for the radio.

Any advice is appreciated!!!
Craptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2016, 06:15 PM   #2
Craptain
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Series parallel in lieu of dc step down converter?

Nevermind duh :-)
Old 11-04-2016, 03:36 PM   #3
IronGypsy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craptain View Post
Nevermind duh :-)
I was just thinking about doing the same thing, so I drew it out... and now I understand the "Nevermind duh" comment. :)

For the benefit of those thinking about doing this... it will dead short the batteries. Don't do it.

There's probably some way to isolate the 12V leads from each other but by the time you buy the necessary parts... might as well just get a converter.
IronGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:36 PM   #4
Theflyinglineman
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronGypsy View Post
I was just thinking about doing the same thing, so I drew it out... and now I understand the "Nevermind duh" comment. :)

For the benefit of those thinking about doing this... it will dead short the batteries. Don't do it.

There's probably some way to isolate the 12V leads from each other but by the time you buy the necessary parts... might as well just get a converter.
???
Theflyinglineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:13 PM   #5
Craptain
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronGypsy View Post

Yeah, I made up a schematic and felt really dumb. Not as dumb as I would have felt if I wired it up
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car