lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2016, 10:51 AM   #1
Lbkgolfer
Not Yet Wild

Default Looking for a little more speed

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I picked up a mint 1996 CC ds this week. Got home early yesterday and was able to pick up my new Trojan batteries and got them installed. Ran cart around the neighborhood, speed app on my phone showed 11 mph. I'll see what it shows today after batteries have been on charger all night. My previous 2008 DS with 12" wheels would do 15-16, that's what I'm wanting out of this one. I will be putting 12" wheels on this one in the near future, is that going to give me 4-5 mph? 90% of the carts usage will be around the neighborhood which is pretty flat, the other 10% will be on the course when I use it for the occasional tournament. Right now I'm looking for inexpensive upgrades that I can do.
Lbkgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Looking for a little more speed

tires will make it a little faster
you could upgrade the controller and get what speed you need
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/series-controllers.html
Pkg. #452 500 / 200
500 Amp FSIP(GE) Controller 36-48 volts with Adjustable output and throttle response
Old 05-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #3
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: Looking for a little more speed

It's not a cheep fix but high speed gears made a huge difference with my '98 CC DS....about $500.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:50 AM   #4
Farm Buggie
Getting Wild

Club Car

You should try a speedy link. They're a little bit over a hundred bucks. Plug it in and go. I get 19 mph with my '07 CC ds
Farm Buggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:02 PM   #5
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Speedy link won't work on a series cart like LBK's. Bigger controller will just increase the amps and therefore low end power. Speed on a series cart has to come from more volts, taller tires/gearing, or a motor.

Your cheapest speed upgrade for that cart is most likely going to be a motor build from Plumquick or finding an old 36 volt motor. The latter is hard to find, so the former is likely your best option.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:05 PM   #6
Lbkgolfer
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93yellowclubcar View Post
Speedy link won't work on a series cart like LBK's. Bigger controller will just increase the amps and therefore low end power. Speed on a series cart has to come from more volts, taller tires/gearing, or a motor.

Your cheapest speed upgrade for that cart is most likely going to be a motor build from Plumquick or finding an old 36 volt motor. The latter is hard to find, so the former is likely your best option.
I was also thinking of a 36v motor after reading some threads. If I do find one, what do I look for to know if it will bolt right up to my cart? Thanks for all the advice you guys are giving me.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:21 PM   #7
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

It will need to be 10 spline, with the female portion on the motor's output shaft so that it slides over the splined input shaft on the cart's differential. This is how all of the 36 volt CC motors were until you get back to around the mid 80s, those had different rear differentials and motors.

They can be sort of difficult to find, and once you do there's always the chance that the motor is bad simply due to age and wear. Not trying to steer you away from this at all, just giving you a heads up on some possible issues. Those issues are why most prefer to just ship their motor to PQ, though that does work out to be slightly more expensive.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:14 PM   #8
Lbkgolfer
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93yellowclubcar View Post
It will need to be 10 spline, with the female portion on the motor's output shaft so that it slides over the splined input shaft on the cart's differential. This is how all of the 36 volt CC motors were until you get back to around the mid 80s, those had different rear differentials and motors.

They can be sort of difficult to find, and once you do there's always the chance that the motor is bad simply due to age and wear. Not trying to steer you away from this at all, just giving you a heads up on some possible issues. Those issues are why most prefer to just ship their motor to PQ, though that does work out to be slightly more expensive.
Ok. I've sent an email to PQ. I asked what my upgrade options would be. Hopefully it'll be something I can swing pretty quick. Really hoping to get the cart the way I want it by August.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:40 PM   #9
Blynchard
Not Yet Wild

Where you located?
Blynchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:59 PM   #10
Lbkgolfer
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blynchard View Post
Where you located?
Lubbock, Tx
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car