lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2016, 01:30 PM   #1
floatingstatic
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 2008.5 48V Precedent "Nudges"

I'm hoping for help - I've searched the forum, but either can't find the specific scenario or I'm having different symptoms (or maybe my search words are not ideal since the title here is "nudges")

I've charged the batteries - I'm getting 48-51V from the pack (4x12V) and 12.6-12.8V from each battery (off the charger).
When I step on the gas, the cart moves an inch (or less) and quits. In reverse the buzzer comes on and same thing - nudges a bit - then quits. The buzzer stays on the whole time.

Voltage when I hit the pedal is inconsistent. Sometimes it will stay over 47V, but one time in 5 I might see it drop to about 36V-37V for a split second (granted my digital multimeter cost me about $20, so not sure if the "sample rate" is fast enough). Note that when I hit the pedal there are 2 clicks, one before and one after the nudge.

I can't afford to throw money at it, so any thoughts or experience greatly appreciated! One battery does seem to discharge faster than the others - as a test I left the charger off the cart overnight to make sure the batteries would hold, and all remained around 12.6-12.7V, except one dropped all the way to 11.7 -

The batteries are all only 4 years old (Trojan T-1275) - but want to rule out solenoid and F/R switch before I throw the $200/per at batteries...

Plum Quick Bandit motor, stock controller, stock solenoid... if that is worth mentioning, too...

Thanks for any help!!
Bill
floatingstatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2016, 02:46 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: 2008.5 48V Precedent "Nudges"

Check the 11.7 battery while pressing pedal. I'm guessing the voltage will go way down. That may be all of your problem.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:08 PM   #3
floatingstatic
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
Check the 11.7 battery while pressing pedal. I'm guessing the voltage will go way down. That may be all of your problem.
Thanks Mr. Golf - that's affirmative!
I tried all 4 batts and the weak one dropped below 9V and then stayed below 10V for a minute or so before climbing back up. The other 3 all were relatively unaffected by the test.

Not the cheapest possible fix, but better than a full battery pack!

(and a bit embarrassed that I didn't think to check individual batteries, and only checked the full pack... )
Old 05-12-2016, 07:12 PM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Hope that fixes the problem. Try to find a battery about the same age as the ones you have. It that fixes it, charge the cart, then without driving the cart unplug the charger and plug it back in to get the charger to do an equalizer charge.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:18 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Mrgolf is correct. Do not install a new battery in place of the failed battery. If you do, the other three batteries with 4 years of usage will eventually ruin your new battery.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:43 PM   #6
floatingstatic
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks everyone - 4 new T-1275's ($159.99 per!) - and I'm back to full go!
Old 05-15-2016, 09:26 PM   #7
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Good deal. Glad you posted results.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car