lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2015, 01:10 AM   #21
Kustrud
Gone Wild

Default Re: The Build Begins

Got some more done, still need help with my previous questions on the crank shaft. Now for a couple more:

1. From the looks of it, would I really need to raise my motor? If I wanted to keep the stock exhaust and intake temporarily it seems like it'd all fit just fine. Remember, this is the v-twin cradle so it does not have the raised mount, but looks fine as is - tell me if I am wrong though.

2. Should I raise the from of the cradle to the next hole up or would the angle be too much? The ground clearance would be nice.

Kustrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-12-2015, 06:42 PM   #22
Kustrud
Gone Wild

Made some more progress....

Old 11-12-2015, 06:48 PM   #23
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You could raise the front up, yamaha lifted the angle is much more. Remember a couple things like when the suspension moves the engine does too, so it will rise up and hit anything above it on bumps or when you haul any weight. The exhaust gets hot, it will melt or burn anything close or that it blows at.

You can put the engine anywhere you want really. You don't want it too low it gets in water or hung up on things, you don't want it too high it hits something above it.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:14 AM   #24
Kustrud
Gone Wild

I think I'm just going to send Vegas back the plate for the V-Twin and get the lifted plate for the clone. Should be set then! It definitely needs to be lifted some. Good point about it moving over bumps and stuff, dang - stock intake and exhaust might not fit then! Any ideas where I could get a header to fit this thing? I dont want to spend another $100 if I dont have to. Think a welding shop or machine shop could make me up a flange?
Old 11-13-2015, 11:42 AM   #25
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Vegascarts sells just the flange for do it yourself welders
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:59 AM   #26
Kustrud
Gone Wild

Nice! That's what I need! Ok so I'm at a stand still until I get the motor plate to them and the other one sent back to me. In the meantime, I can figure out my throttle cable setup. I hacked the governor off the rear-end - did not want to mess with that. I DO want to keep my governor intact on my clone for now until I upgrade anything if I do. I will use the Vegas throttle plate and hook my pedal cable to the throttle, BUT - I'm so lost on how this **** throttle works , can someone explain it to me please? I removed the air intake setup so I could see inside the carb. Choke - got it - pretty self explanatory. However, the throttle plate is locked "open" as if full throttle. The governor arm in top of the motor feels like it is also in the full open position. The throttle lever (the turtle and rabbit lever) however does idle the motor up and down but does not appear to adjust the throttle plate in the carb. Yo can feel it moving something inside the motor. What gives here? I'm sure its something simple I just do not understand, but this seems to have a few more steps than any other small engine throttle I've ever messed with. You'd think - pull back to open, forward to close - I'm lost!

This should help, this is what I am wanting to do, but safely....just would like to understand how this will work and what to do.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:55 PM   #27
Kustrud
Gone Wild

Made some progress on the motor, think I got it but tell me if I am wrong.

If I leave it like this, the internal governor will keep the motor "safe" and governed correct? I can then connect my throttle cable to the arm from my pedal?

I would obviously add a spring to the short side of the arm to close the other way.

This is all I left from the Governor/Throttle plate and all:

At this position the throttle plate is closed.

At this position it is open:

Old 11-13-2015, 05:47 PM   #28
Kustrud
Gone Wild

Ok think I got it figured out, will this work and still use the internal governor?

Old 11-13-2015, 07:32 PM   #29
firemedic247
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Check these guys out. http://www.robertsonstorquetubes.com/accessories.htm
firemedic247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:30 PM   #30
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kustrud View Post
Ok think I got it figured out, will this work and still use the internal governor?
Nope.

The governor arm on any of these kind of floats back and forth
just limiting the revs within a range (based on a throttle mechanism well engineered etc) all this would do is, Once you attached a throttle cable to it, it would "force" the arm of the governor to go back and forth WHEN you pushed the accelerator. If I am correct, you would be pushing a mechanism (an internal arm that floats on the cam weights) against the weights..Not good.

The governor doesn't keep the motor safe. Lower than blow up speed revolutions keeps the motor safe. These governor mechanisms are for
gen sets, and pumps and lawnmowers. It doesn't "harm" the motor to not
use it, any of it, at all. If you direct feed a stiff piece of wire to the carb
throttle, and attach that to a gas pedal, you will be fine .
Take the arm off the gov. and free up some room, in my opinion.

By the way, most of these engines, you can hold them wide open and they won't blow.
If you do it with three year old oil and do it a lot, it probably will, but they are pretty sturdy.

I have run several without the gov. I strip all mine from the inside.
csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!