lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #1
bamachem
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2004 Club Car - Goes in Reverse but not Forward

I have a new-to-me 2004 Club car DS Sepex cart I'm having issues with. I purchased the cart locally and it was a great deal because it was in pieces, literally. It had at least two questionable batteries, and came with original Club Car charger. I was told it had an "upgraded controller" but it's a Curtis 1510. Maybe it's just been unlocked to speed setting 4. It's decently quick on the 22" tires, when it runs.

I installed 6 new Trojan T875s, installed custom 2GA battery connectors made from welding leads, and replaced the positive lead to the solenoid with 2GA as well. I charged the batteries overnight and the charger shut off as expected.

After working on a custom winch bumper all morning I decided to go for a ride. It would run maybe 30 seconds and then power would cut out. Let go of the accelerator and reapply and it would run for 20-30 more seconds before cutting out. On a hill, it had a hard time making it up due to the motor/controller cutting out, almost as if it had an over-current issue.

I came home, and decided to clean the solenoid contacts and motor contacts. I used a wire wheel on a drill, then coated each with some dielectric grease before snuggling down the connections. When I was cleaning the post at A2 on the motor, the wire wheel came into contact with either F2 or the motor housing and sparked via electrical arc.

Now the cart will not move in forward, but will run great in reverse. In forward, the solenoid will click in to engage, but barely any power gets to the motor, and the solenoid cuts off after 1 second. Again, all is fine in reverse.

I've gone back and checked all connections, jogged the F-N-R toggle switch, and still can't get any response in FWD. Did I fry the Curtis 1510-5201 controller or is it likely the ADC motor?

Any and all suggestions for troubleshooting would be helpful.
bamachem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:56 PM   #2
bamachem
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2004 Club Car - Goes in Reverse but not Forward

Going to try taking the F-N-R switch apart tomorrow for inspection and cleaning just to make sure.

I read a thread on a similar issue and it was dirty contacts. Can't post a link yet - too new.

Still worried I may have shorted something though.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:16 PM   #3
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Controllers don't like sparks. You may have blown out part of it.

You know now but remember always put in tow and unhook batteries anytime you work on an electric cart.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:33 PM   #4
bamachem
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yep afraid so.

Just reset the controller by disconnecting the positive for a half hour. No dice. Now that it's dark, I see that the batt light comes on when attempting forward like it's dead batteries. However they're brand new, fully charged, and runs great in reverse.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:55 PM   #5
bamachem
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well, looks like I didn't follow the procedure for resetting the OBC. I'll do that next.

Ok did the OBC reset procedure and still no dice.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:40 PM   #6
SC Carts
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamachem View Post
Well, looks like I didn't follow the procedure for resetting the OBC. I'll do that next.

Ok did the OBC reset procedure and still no dice.
You need a new controller, you shorted out the forward portion of the controller
SC Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:12 AM   #7
bamachem
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of.

So, if I go to a different controller (upgraded) anything else I need to do?
Old 11-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #8
bamachem
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok so buying a new controller. Going with an Alltrax via Scotty. Trying to decide between 400a or 500a. Price difference is about $100ish including upgraded solenoids for each. 500a comes with the fan kit, but would have to be de-tuned for the stock motor. I doubt I upgrade the motor so I'm leaning towards the 400a. Opinions?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car