lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
abieex
Gone Loco

Yamaha

Default Paint types?

Could someone in the know explain the diff paint types? IE: Synthetic and acrylic enamel, base coat/clear coat and urethane. Im going to do my own G1 paint job and want something that will last and look good. Ease of use is also important. I understand prep and compatibility of products. Thanks!
Im not really sold on rattle cans because of splatter.
abieex is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
gray horse
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Paint types?

I'm no pro painter by any means but have painted several vehicles, mostly motorcycles. I am painting the G1 and I use Duplicolor paints. They are a lacquer paint and come premixed. They have a variety of colors and are pretty easy to use. Very reasonably priced. I use a urethane clear with hardener for the top/clear coat. This is much harder than the lacquer clear that Duplicolor sells, which is ok for clear coating in between colors if you're doing multiple colors. You do the same prep work, etc as any other paint, just use a good urethane clear for your final coats.
gray horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
gray horse
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Paint types?

Thought I'd add a little to this. The 2 basic types of paint is lacquer and enamel. One is solvent based and the other is oil based. Lacquer paint tends to be a softer paint then enamel. From these you get your acrylic lacquers and enamels. These are much more durable paints. Urethanes are kinda the top of the line. Very durable and UV resistent. Urethane clears with a hardener added are usually used for top/clear coating. They are durable, resistent to gas and oil and don't chip easily.
There are also water based paints out now. I have never used them but I've heard they work well. As I said before I'm no painter, just passin' on some info that I've learned over the years. I'm sure there are some pro painters on here that will correct me if I'm wrong.
gray horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint