lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #11
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help! Paint and clear coat question.

So this could be the result of a few different things. First when painting with rattle cans the first coat and some even the second coat,I usually do a light coat and let it dry completely. The thicker you spray paint in the begining the more chance you have of it eating whatever is below it, which is what you have there.
There could also be a contaminent present, grease, silicone, oil, etc. Have you used any sort of Armor All or any thing like that lately? Those products have silicone in them and that is one of the worst contaminents when painting.
Unfortunately you are correct you will have to sand it down and hit those spots again. Remember light coats to start and it should keep the lifting in check. It takes a lot longer and more material but when that happens it's really the only way around it.
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #12
JeffG
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Unhappy Re: Help! Paint and clear coat question.

Well after further review, it looks like the clear coat just ate away at the paint, and even primer. Either I applied to heavy in spots, or I wasn't using enamel paint. If I try to sand now, it is too wet and just kind of peels away, I guess I should wait to dry, then sand the areas.

So close, yet so far!!
JeffG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #13
JeffG
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Master66 thank you so much! You have given me great words of advice, and encouragement. It's nice to see that all is not lost. Rome wasn't built in a day, and my cart wont be finished today!

hahaha
Old 01-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Not a problem buddy. When sanding keep sanding outward until you can get a smooth feathered edge. If it looks like the orage is still tearing back keep going outward until that stops. Also take a good look at the primer underneath when you get there, if that also tears back you have to sand that too. If you get into the primer you must reprime those areas. basically you have to sand until you have good adhesion.
When priming don't mask the areas or you will have lines that won't go away, start towards the center and fog outward. Then try to sand until it looks like the primer and orange are one, primer should be tansluscent around the edges. Remember patience is key here.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #15
JeffG
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Smile Re: Help! Paint and clear coat question.

Awesome, thanks so much! My frustration almost got the better of me, but your right, patience. If it was easy, I guess everyone would do it.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #16
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That's why they call me the Master! Well it could have something to do with the fact that my last name is Bates but we will leave that one alone.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #17
JeffG
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Okay, here is my sanding repair work. What a long frustrating day! Well, I have primed it and am waiting 24hrs to dry, and start the leveling process.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #18
JeffG
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Here are pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo3.jpg (132.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg photo4.jpg (149.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg photo6.jpg (171.5 KB, 50 views)
Old 01-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #19
bud light
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Take all the paint off.
Start over.
bud light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #20
JeffG
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I think I'm going to stick with the patch work. I can blend it so no one will ever know. Just a lot more time and patience. Good thing I love carts. Plus it's 77 degrees and beautiful in south Florida
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint