lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #21
freddmc
Gone Wild

Default Re: Confused on Paint job

It looks like the forum has lost 2 days worth of posts. Perhaps the 2 posters who commented on the orange peel in the base coat could repost their comments to help this carter along.
freddmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #22
coondog
Getting Wild

I did a repair job on my Tahoe and ended up with orange peel. I called duplicolor and they recommended to wait until the paint has harden and then wet sand until it is smooth. Then wipe down with a tack cloth and follow up with clear. (if you use it)
I did as they instructed and was able to make it look like a factory finish. The main thing is to keep your surface and sand paper wet at all times and do not rub hard.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:13 PM   #23
glorybirds
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I was trying to read the other posts on my cell but it said the pages were to large now there gone and I'm home now. I hope when I said orange peel I'm talking correctly. It looks like a dull not smooth finish. While I was gone my dumb *** significant other thought by applying 2 coats of clear it would get smooth. Well it is shiny but still looks rough and I have one spot that the clear ran. I am livid right now, this was my project. I was really trying to get this to look as perfect as possible. I will take pics in the morning but I'm afraid to fix this now will be a lot more work.

Thanks
glorybirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:59 AM   #24
freddmc
Gone Wild

The base coat will not be shinny and will be dull. The shinnyness comes from the clear coat.
As for orange peel it resembles the skin of an orange in so far as it looks bumpy.
The run in the clear coat can be sanded out and buffed.
freddmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #25
sak00
What was I thinking?

Mixed Breed

I'm no expert by no means, but one thing I've learned is no matter how bad you screw it up, it can be fixed. Take your time....this is the most important thing. Paint is a time consuming project and when it's done there is no greater satisfaction.

Wet sand your orange peel with a higher grit paper (1200) Then go back over with 2000 and buff it out and see how it looks. If you go through the paint or clear coat, just reshoot it and wetsand and buff. The more you screw it up and fix it, the less you will be afraid of it.

I did this paint job with rattlecan rust-o-leum. And goofed up quite a few times. Yours will turn out fine.

sak00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #26
glorybirds
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I don't have a buffer. There is 2 good coats of clear on now. It's hard to get a good picture with the lighting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0004.jpg (78.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 03-22-2010, 03:21 PM   #27
glorybirds
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Sorry Sak I posted before your pics came thru. Your cart looks very nice, smoother then mine. And if 1 more person in my house says good enough I'll scream. lol I mean it is a BIG improvement with all the dents and scratches filled but not what I expected.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:03 PM   #28
mlj427
Gone Wild

Glorybirds it looks great if your in the Maryland area I would drop off my Yamaha body for you to "practice" on. I think you could wet sand like sak00 said then rub it out by hand it will take alot longer but you will have more control less chance of burning through. sak00 yours looks great too.
Mike
mlj427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:19 AM   #29
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Looks good glorybird
Let me try to put you're mind at ease a little about you're significate other putting on the extra coat of clear. You actually need two if not three coats of clear to pprotect the basecoat sufficiantly "so don't know if that helped at all but I tried". If you are going to attempt to wet sand the body I use 2000 grit, when sanding the run make sure you start by putting the sand paper on some sort of a small block just a little bigger than the run. What this does is it allows the paper to stay on top of the run and miss the adjacent surfaces. When you get it almost all the way down then switch over to the regular foam block. As far as buffing goes I know everyone likes to do it themselves and you can but it will cost you some significant money to do so, "just something to think about". Sorry I came in late but I have been on vacation. Good luck
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #30
glorybirds
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I was beginning to think you were avoiding my confusion. lol Which I think I was confusing everyone. I got mad because I had my base on and asked for help here if I should sand the base a little before the clear because it was orange peeled and he put the clear on when I went out of town before I got my answer and then it has 2 marks when he flipped it over and a run mark. I'm a girl that wanted it perfect so my guy friends don't give me grief. hehe Anyway. I don't want to spend to much more money especially to buy a buffer so what can I do to try to get the run mark and 2 skid marks off of it?And can I get it smoother looking without having to go buy a buffer? It other words can I wet sand without buffing? Don't take me wrong the body looks great without dings and dents and if I have to live with the orange peel I guess it's better then it was. And Thank you Mike for the compliment.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint