Restoration Early 70's and older restoration projects

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
chuybregts
Not Yet Wild
Pargo

Default Beginning a Pargo Restoration

Hello Enthusiasts!
Well, a weird twist of fate, I've found myself in a new hobby.

What's started as an office prank idea, has become my obsession! We wanted to decorate my boss' office with a full size golf cart, and well, as one thing leads to another, I now find myself the new owner of a vintage 1972 Pargo. The cart is in surprisingly sound condition, as I begin the restoration, I'm amazed at how good the frame and body are. Sure there is rust, but nothing is "falling apart."

As I go through this, I'm sure I'll have tons of questions.

However, my first one is, does anyone have a good primer on where to start? I've started by giving it a good clean (see the attached photos as it cleaned up great!) and would like to stabilize the frame so it doesn't rust after I get the current layer of rust off.

By the way, I couldn't find the "Golf Cart Restoration for Dummies" book, so yes, any and all info would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original1Cart.jpg (41.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20130829_026_small.jpg (64.1 KB, 0 views)
chuybregts is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: Beginning a Pargo Restoration

Welcome to BGW!

That cleaned up very well. I love that body style.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

WOW, I LOVE the nose of that thing, I would put that on my cart in a heart beat!! quite stylish.

I just did a complete rebuild of my cart.....and was in somewhat the same place as you.

if, when you are done, you will have a cart that is as good and sound as new.....don't cut a singer corner and do it complete.

First I want to recommend that you LABLE and make notes/drawings/pictures of where EVERYTHING is during the process of disassembly. It will make putting it all back together so much easier. even if you are replacing things, you will have the old parts to look at......so don't throw anything away.

then take your cart apart......completely, so you have a bare frame with the suspension and wheels. then you can start the restoration process.

here is a link to my build, so you can see the process.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/membe...art-build.html

and if I was going to do a total rebuild, seeing as how the cart hasn't been in production since about 1976 or so, if the frame is solid, I would retro fit a newer ez-go rear end and drive system into it. but that's just me.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

oh I forgot something important.........

CONGRATS on your ride and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, dad's, wive's, husband's, girlfriend's and boyfriend's here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Old 09-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
chuybregts
Not Yet Wild
Pargo

Thanks for the pointers! I've actually setup a "OneNote" notebook and as I go through each step of tearing it apart gets a set of photos and the descriptions of each nut/bolt.

That's a good idea about replacing the drive system of a newer make. I'll start researching parts.

As for restoration on your frame, did you just use rattle cans as the primer/base coat? if so, any recommendations on brands?

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
dewzer
Getting Wild

Nice looking cart. I believe I have a charger for a pargo. The wife says I am a stage 2 horder so I would have to say I still do.
dewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuybregts View Post
Thanks for the pointers! I've actually setup a "OneNote" notebook and as I go through each step of tearing it apart gets a set of photos and the descriptions of each nut/bolt.

That's a good idea about replacing the drive system of a newer make. I'll start researching parts.

As for restoration on your frame, did you just use rattle cans as the primer/base coat? if so, any recommendations on brands?

Thanks!
well first I got all the rust off best I could. I used a 4" grinder with flapper wheels, as you could see in the pictures where I buffed off a bit of paint. Next I treated the bear metal with OSPHO, if you don't know what is here is a link to it, and you can buy it by the quart on amazon, I bought mine at a marine supply store.
http://www.ospho.com/directions.htm
I used BRUSH ON, Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer.......Then I used BRUSH ON Rustoleum Glossy Black. I figured by doing it by hand, the coatings will be a bit thicker, giving the frame more protection.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
chuybregts
Not Yet Wild
Pargo

Thanks for the tips on stabilizing/restoring the frame.

I have the body taken apart, today I'll start the deep cleaning/prepping of the frame. Hopefully this weekend I can get the painting done. I have a new daughter and anything that requires "loud" tools, has to wait until the weekend as her crib is right above the garage! (during the week, i'm only able to work on this project after her bedtime.)

Dewzer, does the charger look like the one attached? I admit, the first time I plugged it in, I was a little concerned! It's definitely been around for a while. However, starting the charger, and measuring the voltage, it appears to work fine. Although, the ammeter may be off, when charging, it hovers around 5amps, yet, when I measure the current off the batteries, it's sitting at 10 amps...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20130905_004.jpg (117.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20130901_001_small.jpg (96.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #9
dewzer
Getting Wild

Pargo by name. I have had this for years sitting arround in the basement. The cords were cut off by my grandson but I kept both of them. Glass is still in the amp guage too.
I fired it up a few years ago and it works fine.
I wonder if there are fuses inside. All I know is she is an oldie but a goodie.
I think the lester model was accually for the cushman electric truckster was it not?
I really have no idea, just remember the lester chargeing our cushman
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pargo charger.jpg (120.8 KB, 0 views)
dewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #10
chuybregts
Not Yet Wild
Pargo

Well, I have somewhat of a problem. The office prank was too successful and now I don't have access to the body of the cart anymore!

I've attached a picture of the office, and you can find a

Now, here's the problem. The intent was, after the "prank" I would get the body back and restore/reassemble the cart. The problem is, work now wants to make it a permanent fixture in the office! I'm essentially left with a frame and batteries in my garage. (we built a wooden frame in order to get the cart in his office).

So, what do I do? Do I restore the frame and look for a new body? Do I put up my hands and do a "free" on craiglist post? Do I take it to a junk yard?

Well, at least I learned a ton about the workings of a golf cart!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20130929_026_small.jpg (90.1 KB, 0 views)

Tags
pargo, restoration
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration