lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #51
jeostang
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: prep work for painting plastic bodies

I'm painting my cart body, I followed the steps. The directions on the can said to let the adhesion promoter stand for 10 min before the next step. On the web for plastic it says apply the next step immediately after the adhesion promoter. Is my job screwed?
jeostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #52
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

you should be ok but only time will tell. Always go with what the directions on the can say is my advice on this one.
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:01 PM   #53
Birddog4x4
Gone Wild

Club Car

This was a great thread and I understand it is old. But truely gave me a great idea on were I nee to start. Removing the plastic now and going to gather my paints and stuff. Once agian, big thanks to everyone the posted on here!
Birddog4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:23 PM   #54
kburk_09
Not Yet Wild

One more thumbs up for the info presented. Took me 2 minutes to have a plan of action when i decided I wanted to freshen up my cart. Thanks!
kburk_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #55
nramos5
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Master66, Best information I have found to start my project. Thank you for the info.

I am assuming a clear coat is needed after the color. Is that enough to produce a glossy finish? Is there any buffing required and when in the process this is done? Thank you in advance.
nramos5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:14 AM   #56
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It depends on what type of paint system you are using whether you need to clear or not. If yo are using a base coat /clear coat paint system then you must apply clear after the color coat. That will give it the shine and durability. The wet sanding and buffing doesn't have to be done if you like the look of the clear after spraying it. The wet sanding and buffing is mostly to remove debris in the clear and make it very smooth so it doesn't have that orange peel effect if there is some. I typically wait 2 days before wet sanding any clear coat depending on the temperature. There are more factors in play for cure times and sanding and buffing but if you decide you need that let us know.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:57 AM   #57
nramos5
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by master66 View Post
It depends on what type of paint system you are using whether you need to clear or not. If yo are using a base coat /clear coat paint system then you must apply clear after the color coat. That will give it the shine and durability. The wet sanding and buffing doesn't have to be done if you like the look of the clear after spraying it. The wet sanding and buffing is mostly to remove debris in the clear and make it very smooth so it doesn't have that orange peel effect if there is some. I typically wait 2 days before wet sanding any clear coat depending on the temperature. There are more factors in play for cure times and sanding and buffing but if you decide you need that let us know.
Thank you for the quick reply. I have a 2015 body that is factory painted white. Do I still need to use the Scothbrite and the adhesion promoter? Do your prep steps change in any way?
nramos5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 03:04 PM   #58
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You still need to scuff with scotchbrite and use the adhesion promoter.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:54 PM   #59
dalenelson
Not Yet Wild

What is a good alternative to paint. I have an older cart and the clear is flaking badly and has multilple scuffs. I’m thinking of sanding and then applying something rougher to hide the imperfections like a thick line x product- but cheaper like roll on bed liner.
dalenelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:41 PM   #60
Alyx
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I am not sure but maybe after reading through this I was wondering what it is that is peeling at the body kit joined areas. It looks like the color or varnish or shellac. Yellowish maybe the clear coat peeling? I have some burgandy scotch rite from work (aerospace) wondering if is should just lightly sand. Clear coat, re color, then clear again just in those areas?
Alyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint