lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2021, 08:33 AM   #1
David Cas
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Bumpy ride

I have a Club Car Precedent. Recently we transferred the cart from about 50 miles away. Before transport it was fine, now there is a distinctive bounce almost like a tire is out of round. The roads where we live are very smooth and recently repaved. The "bounce" is bad enough that you really can't drink anything without it spilling on you. Here is what we have done to try to fix it, so far nothing has worked. Someone described the bounce like an auto tire losing radial belt.

1. Replaced a bushing on the front left tire- no change

2. changed out the tires and right side bushing on the front. Bounce still remained.

3. Installed Rhox 4-inch lift kit, larger tires and heavy-duty rear springs.- no change, bounce is still there.

All the work was performed by two different individuals who were reputable and I believe did good work.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
David Cas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2021, 08:48 AM   #2
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Bumpy ride

Hard to imagine that you changed out for new tires and still have the bounce. Except that sometimes even NEW tires can be out of round or mounted off center on the wheels. Try jacking up the front, spin the tires. Anything out of round ? Jack up the rear, LIGHTLY engage the pedal to run the wheels. Anything out of round or bouncing ? Beyond that, I'm at a loss.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:58 AM   #3
David Cas
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thank you, i will give that a try.
David Cas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:54 PM   #4
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Like sthreatt said, tires are the most likely and maybe only cause for your bouncy ride.

I recently replaced two of the Greensaver tires. I had the bounce and proceeded to rotate tires to identify which one. The bounce was always the same no matter where the bad tire was. I never did find the culprit!

I removed the two new tires, let the air out, spun them 180 degrees on the rim, and reseated them. The bounce is almost gone now but still noticeable. I know these are cheap street/ turf tires, but it is very annoying when the old ones didn't do that.

I understand even very expensive golf car tires can bounce. They are next to impossible to balance like an automotive tire.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:08 PM   #5
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
Like sthreatt said, tires are the most likely and maybe only cause for your bouncy ride.

I recently replaced two of the Greensaver tires. I had the bounce and proceeded to rotate tires to identify which one. The bounce was always the same no matter where the bad tire was. I never did find the culprit!

I removed the two new tires, let the air out, spun them 180 degrees on the rim, and reseated them. The bounce is almost gone now but still noticeable. I know these are cheap street/ turf tires, but it is very annoying when the old ones didn't do that.

I understand even very expensive golf car tires can bounce. They are next to impossible to balance like an automotive tire.
I have seen many NEW sets of tires mounted on wheels when they come in and you can CLEARLY see that they are not mounted center on the rim. When you bolt them on the cart you can jack it up and spin them and see the out of round.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:39 PM   #6
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreatt View Post
I have seen many NEW sets of tires mounted on wheels when they come in and you can CLEARLY see that they are not mounted center on the rim. When you bolt them on the cart you can jack it up and spin them and see the out of round.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:35 AM   #7
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

It's odd to me that he says the cart did not have the bump before they transported it 50 miles.

I'm wondering how it was transported (bed of a truck, on a trailer, inside a U-Haul) and how it was strapped down. How was it unloaded? Did something get bent? That's what I would I look at, but I'm just thinking out loud.
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:46 AM   #8
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCNorth View Post
It's odd to me that he says the cart did not have the bump before they transported it 50 miles.

I'm wondering how it was transported (bed of a truck, on a trailer, inside a U-Haul) and how it was strapped down. How was it unloaded? Did something get bent? That's what I would I look at, but I'm just thinking out loud.
I'm curious to the same questions as CCNorth.

As well, I wonder, OP says bumpy ride. In an actual car or truck, if the ride is bumpy, suggesting it seemingly is the whole vehicle bumping, that would suggest a problem in the rear suspension. If it was something in the front causing an issue, that would cause the steering wheel to have a shake or back and forth motion. Obviously GCs are not actual vehicles, but I would imagine at a higher speed of the GC the characteristics would play out somewhat the same. OP, does the GC seem to behave differently at higher speeds than slower?
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:14 PM   #9
grstibor
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I know this post is now a couple months old but I'm curious. When transported is it possible it was strapped down on the axle and bent it? I need to know if the OP ever figured it out.
grstibor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:47 AM   #10
Mikefili
Getting Wild
Club Car

This is extremely common with golf cart tires, and just getting new tires or getting the company that sold them to replace with new guarantees nothing, the replacements have a great chance of being either the same, better, or worse. The selling company’s probably will be “ what do you want, there are golf cart tires” Steeling referred to it as “galloping” which is an accurate description. I hade a new set of 23” Stelling tires Galloping so bad that the windshield oscillated to the point that it cracked. I thing the solution is for all of us to stop buying golf cart tires, switch over to 14” wheels and use car tires.
Mikefili is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
precedent
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car