lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2008, 02:45 AM   #1
TucsonDirect
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Controller Questions along with every other question about carts

i joined the site a few weeks ago , and knew next to nothing about golf carts, i am limited on cash (about 5 bucks a week) (lmfao) and want to get this beast running i am almost 100% sure that it is a 1992 since it says that right on the tag, and since i have no cash i have been sitting back, and reading around the forums This is a very informative place to be and i have learned alot, Thank you

its great that you guys are willing to help just about anyone and the drop of a hat no matter how simple or complex the problem may be and that you would as it seems if you lived nearby you would come down and hold someones hand while they installed everything, this community is of great value and i wanted to take a min to thank everyone who has posted to my questions as well as others,

now on to my question :)
I have been looking around for a controller for my cart and have seen them as low as about 200 bucks which i can scrape up if i could be sure that the controller would fit my cart.... however there seems to be a diffrent model which is also a 300amp and cost nearly $400 .... my question is will "any" controller work or do i HAVE to have the expensive one... and also do i have the wrong info as far as looking for the right controller?

Also does anyone know where i can get a cheap controller to get this cart running? i have seen a few that are rebuilds BUT they want the old controller in order to receive a $120 core refund????? this cart when i got it Did not have a controller and i simply cant afford the 3-700 dollar ones :( (not trying to complain just pleading my story)

Does Anyone?? have a spare controller left over from a upgrade that they arent using that i can buy off of them?? i would be willing to pay all that i can for a working one and/or help them out with a cms website, hardware upgrade, software issue, crashed o.s. or anything that has to do with a computer not doing what its supposed to, in order to make things right...

and now how i got into golfcarts a friend of mine has a 1980 g1 elec. golf cart and its beautiful (really its ugly but... i love the classics) and its all beat up but its a champ i cant tell you what this STOCK cart has been through and what it has put up with and it still works like a champ, sure it doesnt have any brakes, a few dented bumpers, bullet holes and has had the belly sanded by the street, but what can i say its still fun!
TucsonDirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Controller Questions along with every other question about carts

Controllers are very voltage and system specific. You didn't say what cart you own? Controller questions are usually simplified by asking another question...'What do you want your cart to do?'
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Check out ebay evey few days. I got a Curtis 275 amp controller in good working condition for $20. They had it listed as a 24 volt Industrial Cushman Controller (if I remember right).....Apparently, No one wants a cushman electronic speed controller. I ran the part number they had listed and low and behold the part number crossed over to a Factory E-Z-GO 36 volt speed controller.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
Check out ebay evey few days. I got a Curtis 275 amp controller in good working condition for $20. They had it listed as a 24 volt Industrial Cushman Controller (if I remember right).....Apparently, No one wants a cushman electronic speed controller. I ran the part number they had listed and low and behold the part number crossed over to a Factory E-Z-GO 36 volt speed controller.
Roady you win! Who else is gonna do that to find out?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Also...... Remember that controlers are motor dependant and vice versa. They have got to be the correct controller for the motor. So knowing exactly which cart you have will be of great help.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
TucsonDirect
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty View Post
Also...... Remember that controlers are motor dependant and vice versa. They have got to be the correct controller for the motor. So knowing exactly which cart you have will be of great help.

from everything that i can gather i have a 1992 E-z-Go Marathon which DOES NOT have a tow/run switch, the controller and solenoid sit in the middle of the battery bay, but slightly to the rear. Its a 36volt and other than that i dont know

what do i want my cart to do? I want it to do anything when i press the gas all i want is for it to go atleast 15mph which i think is stock so im not looking to upgrade simply because i dont have the money to do it.... im using a cart to get around town from job to job, and as soon as i get enough work in i will have the money to put in to her then i wont have to rent a golf cart, and will be able to afford to upgrade her :)
Old 06-22-2008, 02:07 PM   #7
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Basically all you need is a stock 275 amp Curtis Controller with a 0-5k throttle. That should be the most common controller available. You "could" get by with one of lower amperage but it's not advised. If you were on flat ground and never got the motor under a real heavy load you "might" get by. I have never used a controller under 275 amps.

You could call up Carts Zone and they may have some specials going on. They carry the logisystems controllers.

The cheapest NEW electronic speed controller I have found on the net is a Kelly Controller

They have a 24-36 volt 300 amp speed controller for $239. Small upgrade with this one. You best bang for the buck when/if you upgrade to 48 volts.

This one here is a 36-48 volt 300 amp kelly speed controller for $249.

24-36 volt 200 amp kelly controller for $179 but its real low on amp output. Not sure if I would even consider this. If your only on flat ground and you don't pull any hills you "MIGHT" could get by with a 200 amp model.

36-48 volt 200 amp kelly controller...same thing here. Low on Amp output.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
TucsonDirect
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
Basically all you need is a stock 275 amp Curtis Controller with a 0-5k throttle. That should be the most common controller available. You "could" get by with one of lower amperage but it's not advised. If you were on flat ground and never got the motor under a real heavy load you "might" get by. I have never used a controller under 275 amps.

The cheapest NEW electronic speed controller I have found on the net is a Kelly Controller

They have a 24-36 volt 300 amp speed controller for $239. Small upgrade with this one. You best bang for the buck when/if you upgrade to 48 volts.

This one here is a 36-48 volt 300 amp kelly speed controller for $249.

24-36 volt 200 amp kelly controller for $179 but its real low on amp output. Not sure if I would even consider this. If your only on flat ground and you don't pull any hills you "MIGHT" could get by with a 200 amp model.

36-48 volt 200 amp kelly controller...same thing here. Low on Amp output.
Thank you, i can afford these now that i knowwhere to find them just hope that they dont have 75dollar shipping:( im bidding on this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320264140453 will this one work?>

i live in tucson so there arent many hills how ever it just so happens that where i live we have hills and the golf courses have some of the worst hills in the country
Old 06-22-2008, 02:13 PM   #9
roady89
nimda
Club Car

NO! That controller will not work on your cart. That speed controller uses an ITS type throttle. I sent you a PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #10
TucsonDirect
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

i guess 1 concern i had was that alot of the controllers say 1994 and up but i have a 92? is there a huge diffrence? i.e more wires, different motor?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO