lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
ricejumper
Not Yet Wild

Default Tie Rod ball joint help

I'm installing a All Sports 6 inch drop spindle on my 93 CC. I had no problem installing 2 of the nuts, but on one of the ball joints, the nut has to be torqued hard enough to where it turns the bolt (inside the ball joint) at the same time so I cannot move up the bolt.
There has to be some kind of tool for this or some easier way b/c I have tried about everything...

Thanks
ricejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Tie Rod ball joint help

Sounds like the threads are messed up. You can buy thin wrenches or just grind an old one to fit in between the boot and arm.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You have got some boogered threads. Try to see which is messed up .. easy top get a different nut? if the bolt end is dab use a file to fix it then try some (lots) of spray lube wd or pb and a quick twist with the air ratchet ( start the threads by hand )
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
MONSTER TRUCK
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

clean up threads, apply lubricant , use a c clamp or vice grips to force tapered shaft in and hold it, it should hold enough to tighten. be careful if using impact, the threads will strip
MONSTER TRUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:51 PM   #5
Gummi Bear
Not Yet Wild

Put a jack under the knuckle, and lift the front of the cart slightly off the floor.

The shaft of the rod end is tapered, and you need to keep it from spinning, and by applying force to it, it should allow you to go ahead and tighten it up.

If it still won't allow you to tighten the castle nut, then you have somthing worn out (the rod end) or wallered out (the knuckle) and time to source a replacement part.
Gummi Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
ricejumper
Not Yet Wild

A file, lots of torque, and some liquid wrench finally solved the problem. Thanks everyone for the advice.
ricejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts