lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2019, 01:14 PM   #21
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO TXT 94-01.5 36v DCS - Motor / Controller Questions

Update:

Successfully got everything running dry install. Just need to mount the controller and we are good to go. I haven't configured anything on the controller with the App yet. I just wanted to get it all going.

One thing to note for any 1206SX Curtis controllers... The molex adapter that attaches to the controller from the cart wiring is crappy. I had to do some fine tuning and cleaning of the old molex to make sure it made proper contact with the Navitas wire harness. So make sure you clean/adjust the molex adapter. There are little tiny holes that let you pull it apart so you can clean it and make sure there is no corrosion or other issues.

Cheers,
Imapled
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2019, 01:19 PM   #22
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The serial number ought to give us the date the cart rolled off the assembly line. I used 1994 for the header of the thread. All I identified was that it was a DCS controller and it didn't occur to me at the time that EZGO didn't start producing DCS drive carts until 1995.
No problem. No fault. :) Your help has been invaluable. I would have never figured out it was a Curtis 1206SX without your assistance. That was key in making sure I got the right wire harness. The 1206MX has a stacked 5+5 pin molex. Would have been a pain in the neck to have to exchange wire harnesses.

Quote:
EZGO buys rear axle assemblies in bulk, so all we know for sure is the cart's manufacture date is after the date on the axle. The date on my 2008 cart's axle is 2007.
I figured as much. At least it is a 96 or older. :)

Cheers,
Impaled
Old 04-23-2019, 06:42 PM   #23
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hi Everyone,

All done! Very easy to install and worked like a charm.

NewControllerInstalled.jpg

I put the speed controller under the seat for now. I am going to install a RHOX dash cover which should give me better mounting options for it as the big open hole for a radio(?) will be covered and I will have more surface area for it.

SpeedControllerUnderSeat.jpg

So now to the details.

1. Bluetooth works well.

My DCS cart is an odd ball and the key switch isn't wired like newer models. It is unique to my cart model and would not work this way with other more modern carts.

For one, when the cart is in neutral the wiring is setup to be "off". Even if the key is engaged. So, if you stay in neutral for too long the bluetooth will disengage because well, the cart is reporting to the controller that it is off. They don't keep the bluetooth running and after a few minutes the controller will shut it down to not waste power. If you are in forward or reverse on a DCS the bluetooth won't shut off as it is "on". Weird DCS only stuff.

I updated to the most recent firmware with no issues. Took about 2 minutes to download and install. Didn't even have to cycle the controller. It just worked. (I will do a different post with details about the Navitas application.)

2. Regen is impressive.

I futzed around with the regen feature. To be frank, on my old 1206SX I couldn't even tell that it was doing anything like this. I had to use my breaks a lot. This is the feature that has me wanting to mount the on-the-fly controller on my dash.

2. Speed Control

Being a 36v with stock motor it really didn't improve significantly. It runs at 18mph (30k m/h) top speed. I was getting 16-17 mph (27-28 km/h) top speed on the Curtis 1206SX. This is on flat pavement for those wondering. I left all the settings stock and only updated my tire size in the app.

3. Torque

Significant difference. I would say it is 100% better than what the Curtis 1206SX was providing. I hooked up a trailer with some stuff in it to my hitch. My old config struggled to move forward. When I hooked up the same trailer it just went. No questions asked. It is the trailer I use to cart around my cart. There are a bunch of bikes in it, lawn mower, and a snow blower just to give you an idea.

This is what I wanted and this is what I got. So I am very happy. Hills won't be so awful anymore.

4. Product Review

**** - Awesome.
*** - Good.
** - Its ok.
* - "Meh".

Wire Harness (****)

For a noobie like me this thing was a godsend. I could have cliped the old molex off and rewired it to a bunch of pins but, you shouldn't have to do this in 2019. Navitas made it REAL easy for me to hook up my system without any pain. It truly is "plug and play".

The plug they use to go from the TXS3.0 to the wire harness is downright awesome. It locks into place. I removed it a few times and it was easy to deal with each time. Not like the old crappy Molex connector for the cart!

Controller (*** 1/2)

I am not a fan of the case. It is well designed and engineered but, could use some style. :)

It would have been nice if you could snap the wire harness onto the case. I stuck mine to the side of my cart. Probably hard to do this as all the wires are different in carts so there was slack to make sure it wasn't too short.

The light on the controller is nice and big. Often companies put tiny tiny LEDs on that you can hardly see. This light is big. When I shift to forward it lights up the whole area! I didn't have to read any error codes from it but, it would be a breeze to do with this unit.

Mounting it was easy. They need to update their documentation with some additional notes for replacing the Curtis 1206SX. Simple things like the old bolts that mounted the old controller can't be reused as they are not self tapping. As well, the unit did not line up to the previous holes as suggested in the 1206MX install instructions.

As well, you need to mount the thing higher on the mounting plate so you can get the solenoid bracket under it. The TSX3.0 600amp controller is too wide to put the solenoid in front of it. (See my picture. I mounted it below the unit.)

On-the-Fly Unit (**)

It functions as advertised. The knobs are really smooth. Doesn't feal cheap at all. It is well built. It is just fat and bulky and is going to be ugly to mount.

Tow-run-Switch Mounting for TXT (*)

They should include this with the wire harness. The wire harness is specifically for a DCS cart and it needs a mounting option. It shouldn't be sold separately from the wire harness in my opinion.

I made my own with a bracket. (See picture in the top right corner.) It wasn't hard but, if they would have included it I wouldn't have had to make one and they would have gotten a better rating.

Again, thanks to JohnnieB for the assistance and taking the time to explain a bunch of stuff to me about my cart.

This site has been an invaluable resource for me and I appreciate all the contributions learned members make. I am sure the ratio of silent readers to posters is 1,000,000:1. I know I read the site for a year just getting information and learning about my cart.

Hopefully this thread helps a DCS owner out there and anyone curious about the Navitas products.

Cheers,
Impaled
Old 04-23-2019, 07:51 PM   #24
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

That looks like a stock solenoid. Hopefully it isn't since the amp rating of a stock solenoid is only about 85A and its feeding a 600A controller.

I use a MZJ400 solenoid that is rated 1000A peak/400A continuous and only have a 400a controller. (But I'm prepared for most anything on the market)

---------
With a little rewiring, you can get the controller to stay on as long as the keyswitch is tuned ON. Here is a schematic of how the 1206SX was wired.

On the original DCS 10 pin molex, you need B+ on Pins 6, 9 and 10 to keep controller powered up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Late DCS - No Diode.JPG (88.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:28 PM   #25
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
That looks like a stock solenoid. Hopefully it isn't since the amp rating of a stock solenoid is only about 85A and its feeding a 600A controller.
The MZJ400 is on order and will arrive shortly. It wasn't easy to find in Canada at a reasonable rate.

Quote:
I use a MZJ400 solenoid that is rated 1000A peak/400A continuous and only have a 400a controller. (But I'm prepared for most anything on the market)
Have one on order. Will replace the old one when it comes in. I just wanted to get the cart running. Navitas tech said it was ok and won't hurt the controller. Can't really use the cart until May 1st when my park opens.

Quote:
With a little rewiring, you can get the controller to stay on as long as the keyswitch is tuned ON. Here is a schematic of how the 1206SX was wired.

On the original DCS 10 pin molex, you need B+ on Pins 6, 9 and 10 to keep controller powered up.
AWESOME! Thanks! Will update for sure because losing connection to Bluetooth in neutral sucks. The app prompts to reconnect if you are in neutral too long and switch to forward or reverse.

Would it be ok to simply put jumpers between B+ and Pins 6, 9 and 10 or should I get a new Molex and rewire it? There appears to be space in the holes that I can get a jumper into.

Cheers,
Impaled
Old 04-23-2019, 08:41 PM   #26
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Glad to hear you got it all working.

You may have already handled it, but I noticed you said in an earlier post that one of the motor cables had a chunk out of it. I’m not sure if this was your problem, but the cable rubbing on the frame is a pretty common issue. I put some stick on foam in n that part of the frame to keep it from happening.

*just in case it helps.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:18 PM   #27
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post
Glad to hear you got it all working.

You may have already handled it, but I noticed you said in an earlier post that one of the motor cables had a chunk out of it.
Yup it was F1 cable. Half of it was gone. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post
I’m not sure if this was your problem, but the cable rubbing on the frame is a pretty common issue. I put some stick on foam in n that part of the frame to keep it from happening.

*just in case it helps.
I put some tubing over the wire. But, some stick on foam won't hurt either as the tube cover could eventually wear down too. Thanks for the suggestion!

Cheers,
Impaled
Old 04-27-2019, 12:25 AM   #28
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hi All,

Just picked up my "Navitas High-Performance DC Golf Cart Motor". Like I said, locally it is easy to find Navitas stuff in Canada. I wanted torque over speed so it was the best choice.

Specs:

Type of Motor: DC Induction
Rated power @36V: 3KW
Rated power @47V: 4KW
Rated Voltage: 36-48V (DC)
Rated Armature Current: 97A
Rated Speed: 1790 r/min
Rated Field Current 10A
S2: 60min
RPM: 0-2500 r/min
Spline: 19
Insulation class: H
Protection mode: IP20

I have included pictures of it for those who are curious.

IMG_20190426_214337.jpg
IMG_20190426_215146.jpg

As my cart is wired for a Curtis 1206SX (TXT DCS) which, never had a speed sensor, I need to make or purchase a wire to connect the speed sensor to my Navitas wire harness.

Need some assistance in identifying the adapter on the speed sensor on the motor. I believe it to be a "DEUTSCH DT04-3P". I am assuming that I need a DT06-3S male end.

Here is a better picture of the speed sensor and connector:

SpeedController.jpg

On the Navitas wire harness is a 6 POS Molex 39-28-1063 so I am assuming I need a 39-01-2060 male end.

If I am wrong on my assumptions please point me in the right direction. :)

I suspect the FSIP 221-SSCABLE would also do the job. But, I am not sure if the Molex that goes into the Navitas wire harness is wired the same as is required for my harness or if the cable is long enough.

I have a lot of 20 AWG Wire so I may just find the parts and make it myself. I have to make the adapter to fix my 1206SX key issue (as recommended by JohnnieB) so I have to go to a parts store to get those Molex connectors.

FYI JohnnieB: I got confirmation that your recommendation to fix the neutral issue on my 1206SX wiring will work. The tech @ Navitas recommended taking the B+ from the key switch. Thank-you!

Cheers,
Imapled
---------
"My name is Impaled. My world is fire. And blood. Once, I was a software developer; now a golf cart warrior searching for a righteous cause."
Old 04-27-2019, 02:50 PM   #29
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Those specs sure do look like those of a FSIP 221-36VTORQUEEZ.

When you get that monster all connected and dialed in right, it ought to climb the hills with all the people that will fir on it.

------
I noticed that in some of their manuals, Navitas said they had diagrams of the adapter cables available. Might answer some of you wiring questions.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 03:22 PM   #30
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Those specs sure do look like those of a FSIP 221-36VTORQUEEZ.
I can't confirm that. I am north of the border and this is all I have access to. There are D&D motors and Redhawks around but, if I told you the price you wouldn't believe me. Being so close to Navitas's HQ means their products are easier to find here by virtue of geography. I got lucky and met a really interesting person who makes custom electric vehicles. So it was a double bonus for me!

Quote:
When you get that monster all connected and dialed in right, it ought to climb the hills with all the people that will fir on it.
That is the objective. I am happy with my speed. As well, park has a speed limit. But, it has HILLS. Lots of them. As well, I get to actually take it off road. So I wanted the torque experience more than the speed experience.

Here are the specs I have on the motor in addition to what I typed in above:

NavitasMotorInfo.jpg

Its well beyond my knowledge, but for someone such as yourself, it probably says a lot. To me they are about as useful as an ECG report without interpretation.

Quote:
I noticed that in some of their manuals, Navitas said they had diagrams of the adapter cables available. Might answer some of you wiring questions.
I haven't found any online. So if you can share some links to the documentation that would be great! I have the wire harness info but, not the motor speed controller wiring. I did get confirmation that I was correct on my assumptions. See thread: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...lue-black.html

Cheers,
Impaled
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO