lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: adding an alternator to a clone

One thing to note is your loss will also be connected to the rpm you run it at. If you put a smaller pulley on the engine loss will be less. Figure you will be running minimum 2,000rpm while the cart is moving where you may need 10amps of power to run 55w driving lights, so really you can size the pulley to deliver higher output at 3500rpm when you had it on the floor as you really don't need that much power in a cart....unless you run a big amplified stereo or lots of lights/etc. In that case you want some power at idle speeds, but a normal cart can reduce alt rpm and save engine power. There is no doubt my 55w lights get brighter at about 2K rpm and greater with the stock generator and that works fine (15A max output on those, so you could run a gen quite slow and have that though it may not be good for it. It could lose cooling from its fan at constant really low rpm).
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #12
phnguyk
Getting Wild

No real noticeable loss of power, just give it more go pedal. Really, now I'm running offroad lights, full stereo, and an inverter for holiday decorations(parades).
phnguyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #13
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Generators like stock carts use are not good at making power at lower rpm, that is why they stopped using them on cars long ago. An alt is much better at that, it will do better than a gen. Though if you run the cart at higher rpm enough to keep the battery up a stock gen works ok (and don't use way more power than it makes).
Old 08-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #14
Seafarer12
Gone Wild
Club Car

Shouldn't be any loss of power even if you throw a 200 amp alternator on it. Unless your using 200 amps of course. It is only going to make enough power to maintain 14 volts. The old generators didn't make much power since they had a commutator and all the power had to go through the brushes. Now that we have diodes to rectify ac we can use a rotating field and not worry about running a lot of amps through the brushes unless you want to use it as a motor too then your stuck with an old generator.
Seafarer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:28 AM   #15
Quinn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Why add an alternator? Why use the clone starter? Are the first questions that come to my mind. Why not use the original came with the golf cart starter/generator and have the cart work as it was designed? Guess I'm a fan of the KISS principle of doing that. I wanna keep it functioning exactly as a golf cart. Push the gas pedal runs the starter/generator and it starts. Then the gas unit powers up the battery via the generator/starter. Let all the way of the gas pedal the gas engine stops. No need for an alternator it works as a proper golf cart should...
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:17 PM   #16
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Stock gen yamaha is rated at 15A
Old 08-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #17
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
Why add an alternator? Why use the clone starter? Are the first questions that come to my mind. Why not use the original came with the golf cart starter/generator and have the cart work as it was designed? Guess I'm a fan of the KISS principle of doing that. I wanna keep it functioning exactly as a golf cart. Push the gas pedal runs the starter/generator and it starts. Then the gas unit powers up the battery via the generator/starter. Let all the way of the gas pedal the gas engine stops. No need for an alternator it works as a proper golf cart should...
It just depends on how much power you need. An alternator gives you options for power output and how many accessories you can run.

I'm with you though, I just run the stock starter/gen for now.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:28 AM   #18
thaipham25
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Stock gen yamaha is rated at 15A
Ppplppppppp:sly::(:(:o:(:mad:

Sent from my LGL35G using Tapatalk 2
thaipham25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:02 PM   #19
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaipham25 View Post
Ppplppppppp:sly::(:(:o:(:mad:

Sent from my LGL35G using Tapatalk 2
What the?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:50 PM   #20
Quinn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I should clarify a bit. What I did was have the starter/generator rebuilt and beefed up a bit at a local automotive electrics shop in town. Since mine is now made to spin only one direction he was able to beef it up so it puts out 50 amps/14.5 volts at 3600 rpm. Also we beefed up the external voltage regulator to work with it.
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps