lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
bugfuzzywormie
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default gear change??

is changing to high speed gears worth the money?? is it difficult to do yourself?? i have been a mechanic all my life, i would like to think i could tackle this myself. im @ 21 mph now with a little more adjustment on my gov. i have 22 inch tires. if i make gear change am i going to need to adjust clutch also??? when u change to high speed gears does it hurt bottom end???
bugfuzzywormie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2010, 08:21 AM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: gear change??

The rear in your cart has a 13.something to 1 ratio unless it's a hp model then it would be around 10 to1. I believe by your speed it's a 13.+ to 1 ratio, changing to an 8 to 1 will get you about 5 maybe 6 mph more. the loss in the low end can be compensated for by a clutch or belt mod/change. I'm sure you could do it with no problems. I guess the real question is if 5 mph is worth the cost of the change. I have always thought it's not worth it. my opinion is if you want to go fast then get a vtwin or different engine that'll tach higher and have more power. If I had a nice cart I would buy or build another cart to avoid dumping a bunch of money into one because changing things doesn't really improve the value of them so much. It a loosing proposition as far as money goes but it can rapidly make up for that in entertainment value. I look at my big cart like it's a personal amusement park ride that I don't have to pay for every time I use it. At this point it's already paid for itself and now i'm riding for free.
well at least that's what I tell my wife.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Bugfuzz, they are not difficult to change at all. Especially if your a mechanic like stated. Ruredy is right about the speed. You'll only gain about 5mph. I had no noticeable loss in torque on mine but it had a big block. Little costly for no more than you gain in my opinion but I was happy with them anyway. Just wanted them myself. I was able to reuse the gasket on my chunk as well but did apply some gasket sealer over the original gasket. Never had a problem. Just remember to fill the chunk back with 10w30 oil instead of rearend gear oil.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by spriddle View Post
Bugfuzz, they are not difficult to change at all. Especially if your a mechanic like stated. Ruredy is right about the speed. You'll only gain about 5mph. I had no noticeable loss in torque on mine but it had a big block. Little costly for no more than you gain in my opinion but I was happy with them anyway. Just wanted them myself. I was able to reuse the gasket on my chunk as well but did apply some gasket sealer over the original gasket. Never had a problem. Just remember to fill the chunk back with 10w30 oil instead of rearend gear oil.
Ok, I gotta ask. Why? I have 10w30 synthetic in my Ez-go rear now. So, I'm not argueing, just curious why?
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by essness View Post
Ok, I gotta ask. Why? I have 10w30 synthetic in my Ez-go rear now. So, I'm not argueing, just curious why?
Ezgo rearends take 10w30 and not the usual 75w90 gear oil like most other carts.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

i put 75/90 royal purple in the carts i service. I am a RP dealer so it is cheaper. I actuatly had a new cart that had a rear end whine. the tech at EZGO told me to change fluid and put in 80/90 gear oil. i put in 75/90 and the noise went away, so every since that what i put in them, BUT YES, the book calls for a 30wt motor oil.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
bugfuzzywormie
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

gear change update!!!!!! was 21 mph, now 29 mph. i still have some adjustment in gov. ran out of time tonight. biggest noticable difference was u didnt have to put your foot on the floor to go fast. did not notice any difference in bottom end. -----special thanks to tom @ cartpartsplus.com-----would recommend to anyone. cant wait to see my neighbor again!! i did use a new gasket and rp syn oil.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:12 AM   #8
ruredy
Born Wild

so you went with 6 to 1 ratio or what ?
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #9
bugfuzzywormie
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

went to 8 to 1. are u supposed to fill to the bottom of fill plug or just 2 qts.????
Old 01-28-2010, 06:40 PM   #10
Cheesy
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Did you document this mod with lots of pics. for the rest of us?

What was the cost for the new gears? Was it pretty simple? Did you already have the shorter belt prior to the new gear install, that you never noticed any change in the bottom end torque? Any other mods done to the cart?

Thanks, Cheesy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugfuzzywormie View Post
gear change update!!!!!! was 21 mph, now 29 mph. i still have some adjustment in gov. ran out of time tonight. biggest noticable difference was u didnt have to put your foot on the floor to go fast. did not notice any difference in bottom end. -----special thanks to tom @ cartpartsplus.com-----would recommend to anyone. cant wait to see my neighbor again!! i did use a new gasket and rp syn oil.
Cheesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO