lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2021, 07:17 PM   #1
56servi
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Minimum pack volts to run

Bought a used 1999 DS 48v club car from neighbor in Florida. We bought the house next door and will be down here in winter from Michigan. The batteries are Electro 8v date code Feb 2018. The cart had not been used for over 2 years.
We are down here for a week painting and return in Nov for winter.
I knew the batteries were almost gone when I purchased cart. I put at meter on cart today to see where batteries are at. Been driving around last few days but not going far. After charging and waiting 2 hours the pack voltage is 50.5. Drops to 39v when accelerating then levels out at about 46 when cruising

Going to get new batters when we come back in Nov but what voltage readings should I stay above so I can get home now. Rides are all within 1 mile from home
56servi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2021, 07:34 PM   #2
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Minimum pack volts to run

Your pack voltage after 2 hours is around 90%. Dropping down and running at 46 is a bare minimum. If your rides are only around a mile, you may be ok for now. I hate to say that and leave you stranded, however.

Put the charger on it after each use even if only 100 yards. You may want to carry your charger with you for an emergency charge to get you back home if needed. If 1/2 mile, an hour charge may do it.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:05 PM   #3
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Find attached a State of Charge chart for your reference ... if you can monitor your battery pack voltage, this chart might be helpful to ensure that you can get home. If you can stay above 60% (49.0 volts stabilized voltage), you should be able to get home if you stay within a mile.

Noted on the chart, to get a stabilized voltage after charging you should wait 12 to 24 hours after charging ... 2 hrs would not get you a accurate stabilized voltage and your batteries are likely less than 90%.

As noted on the bottom of this chart, "under load" readings should not drop below 42 volts for a fully charged 48 volts pack.

Back to back battery charging might help you to regain some of the losses from being stored for two years ... I "assume" that your battery pack must have seen some charging maintenance in the two year storage period. Under normal circumstances, storing a battery for two years without charging can result in a severely depleted battery which can result in irreparable sulfation damage and a battery pack that is not able to hold a full charge.

Carts Unlimited State of Charge Chart.JPG
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:34 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Make sure they’re full on water and give them a few short run and charge cycles. Good chance they’ll Come back and be just fine. Run it about a mile and charge it all the way. Run it another mile and then recharge it again. Get ‘em gurgling and bubbling good, that’s where the magic happens.

If not, there’s a few other tricks to bring some more life back to them. If they’re charging most of the way now and hold enough load to drive, I’d bet they come back pretty good with some use and charge cycles though.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 10:26 AM   #5
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

hello neighbor, from novi
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:04 AM   #6
56servi
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Water is good. Will try the driving and charging cycle and see what happens. I have my volt meter semi permanent installed now. I can keep a log of voltages and see if improving. Going back home Saturday so will continue when I get back.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:11 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Are you bringing the cart back up here to MI or is it staying in Florida?

If all else fails, I did this last year before it got cold. They were completely destroyed and I got to where they would take and hold a very useable charge. Not “new” by any means but considering they were all ballooned, dead, furry, and just overall trashed… just getting them to work was a pretty good accomplishment. I ran out of time and never really did anything with the cart, so sold it as “working but needs batteries”. Unfortunately the guy that bought it stripped the back seat, roof, and seat off and out junk on it. And then listed it for sale a couple days later for $500 more than he paid for it (with all the stuff missing) and said it’s got “newer, good strong batteries”. I could still see my sharpie on the labels from my science experiment in his pictures

Anyway, rambling aside, yours are in much better shape. I’d be willing to bet your results would be much better than mine. If they won’t come back with just charging a few times, nothing to lose really. And it would get you through the winter. Starting to get cooler here now so I’d be hesitant to buy brand new batteries just to have them sit in the cold all winter. (Which is why I sold the cart above needing batteries and didn’t buy new ones).
Old 10-21-2021, 05:45 PM   #8
56servi
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Bought a house in Florida for winter. Main home is Michigan. The cart is staying in Florida. We are just in Florida to do some painting in house then returning back south in mid Nov. cart will only be used in community playing golf & driving to pool and bar. Going to try and milk these batteries as long as I can.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:24 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56servi View Post
Bought a house in Florida for winter. Main home is Michigan. The cart is staying in Florida. We are just in Florida to do some painting in house then returning back south in mid Nov. cart will only be used in community playing golf & driving to pool and bar. Going to try and milk these batteries as long as I can.
Worth a try.

Sorry forgot to paste my link in the last response

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=170984
Old 10-23-2021, 09:05 AM   #10
56servi
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Batteries seem to be getting better. We do more voltage tests when I get back next month
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car