lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2021, 10:05 AM   #1
carguy1985
Not Yet Wild

Default 48V Reducer Temperature while charging

Good morning/afternoon all,

I have a couple of random quick questions. Here is the cliff notes, does anyone's 48-12v reducer get warm when charging? and in what order do you have the terminals stacked on the batteries. Mine was a battery, smaller ring connector and then the thicker cable then a lock washer and nut. I did change it to the battery, thicker ring terminal, thinner ring terminal and then my new ring terminal for the second reducer.

I have this reducer:
https://www.amazon.com/Roykaw-Voltag...4741321&sr=8-3

Here are details:
Yellow 48v + from pack
Black 48v - from Pack
Blue (capped I do not have a radio requiring memory).
Red = 12v + to fuse
Extra black back to - from fuse block
Green 48v remote reducer turn on, I have this tapped to one of the key switched 48v wires in the dash.

I also have a cutoff switch under seat for the 48v green trigger wire in case I do not want my 2nd reducer to be on while key is on.

I know the reducer when in use will get hot, however, right now my fuse lock is empty as I have not installed any accessories. I rode our cart a few days ago and charged it. I usually prop the seat up to let air flow in and i felt the reducer and it was hot super hot by all means but was warm to the touch as opposed to the factory reducer which felt ambient temp. I know the reducer is connected to the ends of the full pack so when its charging I suppose it could be warm but I just wanted to verify this was normal behavior.
carguy1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-21-2021, 01:34 PM   #2
AdamP
Getting Wild

Default Re: 48V Reducer Temperature while charging

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1985 View Post
Good morning/afternoon all,

I have a couple of random quick questions. Here is the cliff notes, does anyone's 48-12v reducer get warm when charging? and in what order do you have the terminals stacked on the batteries. Mine was a battery, smaller ring connector and then the thicker cable then a lock washer and nut. I did change it to the battery, thicker ring terminal, thinner ring terminal and then my new ring terminal for the second reducer.

I have this reducer:
https://www.amazon.com/Roykaw-Voltag...4741321&sr=8-3

Here are details:
Yellow 48v + from pack
Black 48v - from Pack
Blue (capped I do not have a radio requiring memory).
Red = 12v + to fuse
Extra black back to - from fuse block
Green 48v remote reducer turn on, I have this tapped to one of the key switched 48v wires in the dash.

I also have a cutoff switch under seat for the 48v green trigger wire in case I do not want my 2nd reducer to be on while key is on.

I know the reducer when in use will get hot, however, right now my fuse lock is empty as I have not installed any accessories. I rode our cart a few days ago and charged it. I usually prop the seat up to let air flow in and i felt the reducer and it was hot super hot by all means but was warm to the touch as opposed to the factory reducer which felt ambient temp. I know the reducer is connected to the ends of the full pack so when its charging I suppose it could be warm but I just wanted to verify this was normal behavior.
With no load on the reducer i wouldn't think it should be hot
AdamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:54 PM   #3
ATrain
Gone Wild

My initial thought is when charging, it's putting like 58v or something high to charge the batteries (can't remember) and your reducer takes 30v-55v. Measure with a multi though to confirm.

I would think if you had it properly wired, so that a signal to green would turn the reducer on, then this wouldn't be a problem...but perhaps the reducer will always receive power and the green merely triggers the 12v output on/off.

If that's the case and you confirm the charger is putting more than the acceptable voltage, then you should install a 48v relay (https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Automo.../dp/B07QRPFT96).

The relay would do what I'd hoped the green would do, which is only provide power to your reducer when it receives a switched signal.

You would wire it NO (normally open) so that when it receives the key-switched signal, it closes and then provides power to the reducer. This should solve your issue.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 02:34 PM   #4
carguy1985
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
My initial thought is when charging, it's putting like 58v or something high to charge the batteries (can't remember) and your reducer takes 30v-55v. Measure with a multi though to confirm.

I would think if you had it properly wired, so that a signal to green would turn the reducer on, then this wouldn't be a problem...but perhaps the reducer will always receive power and the green merely triggers the 12v output on/off.

If that's the case and you confirm the charger is putting more than the acceptable voltage, then you should install a 48v relay (https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Automo.../dp/B07QRPFT96).

The relay would do what I'd hoped the green would do, which is only provide power to your reducer when it receives a switched signal.

You would wire it NO (normally open) so that when it receives the key-switched signal, it closes and then provides power to the reducer. This should solve your issue.

That is what I was thinking as well with the green wire but it changed when i was thinking the Yellow +48side and black -48side technically are connected at all times to the batteries and are only providing the reducing function via the red 12v on a relay there. I will measure the voltage while charging. When i measured it it was at like 52.4 i think but the light was green so charger wasnt on, it just probably kicked off.

I did add a diode to my key trigger wire so that if the both function on my cut off switch was ever accidently set it wouldn't back feed the cart into ignition system lol.

its nice having my inverter able to run 90% of time via key drive and if i dont want to leave key in and on with cart lights and all that running i can switch it to mode 2 which will pull 48v from the battery to use as a trigger and have inverter work while cart is off. this way i can play music if i am off the cart.
carguy1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 03:58 PM   #5
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1985 View Post
That is what I was thinking as well with the green wire but it changed when i was thinking the Yellow +48side and black -48side technically are connected at all times to the batteries and are only providing the reducing function via the red 12v on a relay there. I will measure the voltage while charging. When i measured it it was at like 52.4 i think but the light was green so charger wasnt on, it just probably kicked off.

I did add a diode to my key trigger wire so that if the both function on my cut off switch was ever accidently set it wouldn't back feed the cart into ignition system lol.

its nice having my inverter able to run 90% of time via key drive and if i dont want to leave key in and on with cart lights and all that running i can switch it to mode 2 which will pull 48v from the battery to use as a trigger and have inverter work while cart is off. this way i can play music if i am off the cart.
For $24 I'd consider one of these - https://www.amazon.com/DONJON-Wirele...dp/B07JFH6VQH/

Sounds like your physical switch that you can use when you're away from the cart, but this might be the best of both worlds depending on how you want to use it.

Just to be clear on what I was saying, to make sure it aligns with what you said...with the wires always being connected to the battery. That might mean power is always sent to the reducer, but 12v output is not, and if during charging the charger is shoving 57v into the pack and your reducer is always connected...that could overload it.

Again, this is totally a guess and could be the wrong path. It would explain the heat during charging though. If it's within the tolerances though, it might just be heat you don't need to worry about.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon