lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2021, 12:40 PM   #1
Biaviian
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Please tell me if lithiums are the correct choice for me.

I have a 48-volt RXV that is lifted with 23" tires and an upgraded controller. We only use this cart to pull logs out of our wooded area, haul bee boxes, and I pull my daughters on a snow tube track with ramps for the tubes.

I am wondering if lithium would be a good choice knowing we use it more in the cold weather than the warm weather. We are in Pennsylvania. The log work starts around this time and ends when the brush begins to grow. If we use it in the summer, it is just to go on a family stroll on our property or to haul bee stuff.

I am thinking of going with 4x48 Allied, but will moving to lithium be a good choice knowing the most strenuous use is in cold temperatures?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-12-17 15.28.06.jpg (323.4 KB, 0 views)
Biaviian is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-15-2021, 03:30 PM   #2
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Please tell me if lithiums are the correct choice for me.

Hi,

The question here is whether you’ll be charging in below 0C (32F) temperatures. If so then lithium is not for you. If it will be indoors and above that temperature then you can go with lithium. You’ll see a marked improvement in torque as well, especially at lower temperatures.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 04:37 PM   #3
Biaviian
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Hi,

The question here is whether you’ll be charging in below 0C (32F) temperatures. If so then lithium is not for you. If it will be indoors and above that temperature then you can go with lithium. You’ll see a marked improvement in torque as well, especially at lower temperatures.

Cheers
Pat.
It is an unheated garage and it will be charging below 32F. I could probably talk my wife into storing it in our attached garage. While it isn't conditioned, it doesn't get below freezing. Would it be worth the trouble though.
Old 11-15-2021, 11:37 PM   #4
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

From what I see online, the Allied Lithium are a 30 Ah x 48 volt battery. Connecting 4 of these in parallel will give you 120 Ah of capacity.

The Maximum Continuous Discharge Current rating is 30 Amps per battery or 120 Amps for 4 batteries in parallel.

The Peak Discharge Current rating is 60 Amps (for 10 seconds) per battery or 240 Amps (for 10 seconds) for 4 batteries in parallel.

I "assume" that your maximum load would be when you "pull logs out of our wooded area" or possibly when you "pull my daughters on a snow tube track". Hard acceleration up hills might even result in higher loads.

I am thinking that your requirements for Maximum Continuous Discharge Current is going to be significantly higher than 120 Amps and as a result, these batteries will likely not fit your intended use. Exceeding the discharge ratings of your battery would most likely lead to a significantly shorter battery lift ... or premature total failure.

You may be able to measure your actual battery amperage using your "upgraded controller". Failing that, you could use a clamp on amperage meter or install a shunt type amperage meter on your cart to determine your actual amperage draws. With this information, you will be able to determine if lithium is fit for your purpose ... or not.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:38 AM   #5
Biaviian
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
I "assume" that your maximum load would be when you "pull logs out of our wooded area" or possibly when you "pull my daughters on a snow tube track". Hard acceleration up hills might even result in higher loads.
You are speaking another language. I was looking at those specs on their website but it doesn't mean much to me.

I didn't realize that using it at a high load would cause issues compared to Trojans. I have T-1275s. I don't often do a hard acceleration or go at high speeds, compared to what it can do. The logs require a short distance of dragging but of course it is a larger load and requires a higher immediate torque. These logs are fallen dead black locusts so they aren't full of water weight. I don't use it for more than 3 or 4 hours at a time between charges.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:42 AM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I live in Pa and use my 48V EZ-GO txt for hunting. For the first, oh ten years I ran Trojan batteries. First set was 6-8V then I switched to 8-6V T-105's. I like the Trojans for their quality, but hated the maintenance that needs done on Flooded Lead Acid Batteries. (FLA's)

The maintenance was "must charge" after each use, water level checks, and terminal cleaning from the gases that FLA's just have.

I upgraded to used Nissan Leaf lithium batteries with a good BMS and now have a new Alltrax Controller to set the amp limit draw the motor demands when going up steep hills.

My cart has a D&D "Torque" motor. I don't need to go fast.....I need to climb hills when I out in the woods.

Here in Pa hunting can be in 40 degree weather, or 15 degree weather. (You know that!!). I will tell you that the cold effects Lithium as much as it effects FLA's. It will cut the run time by a minimum of 25% vs running in say...70 degree weather.

My cart sits in a heated garage so charging when it's cold is not an issue for me. You can charge FLA's in the cold.

I have run my cart with a laptop connected and will tell you that the highest amp draw I've had was about 300amps. That was a short period of time....maybe 20 seconds. I've adjusted my controller to set them max amp (IIRC) at 250. That setting has not seem to hurt performance and gives a little more run time to the pack.

You can check the post here concerning Allied batteries and I know some folks have had issues with the Allied.

IMHO, if you need new batteries, and knowing what your "need" or "use" is, I think you may be better off replacing your existing batteries with new Trojan FLA's.

You want the cart to do a job....and it's doing the job with existing FLA's. You don't want to be messing around with the Lithium Learning Curve.

For me, the lithium swap was one of the best things I've done. But I built my pack after learning a lot about Lithium and Battery Manage Systems. (BMS).

This is just one guys humble opinion....and I'm no engineer nor do I have the experience that some on this forum have. But for what you do, buying another set of Trojans will get you another 5 to 7 years. At that point the "drop 'n go" lithium packs will be much more advanced and easier to make a decision at that point.

I hope this helps.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 12:33 PM   #7
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biaviian View Post
You are speaking another language. I was looking at those specs on their website but it doesn't mean much to me.
I believe that at 120 amps continuous, those batteries will not meet your operating requirements ... especially since you use your cart to pull "things".

What controller are you running? Does it have the capability to record battery amperage?

It is important to size a lithium battery pack to your load (amperage) requirements ... thus you need to determine what your actual load (battery amperage draw) is.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:43 PM   #8
Biaviian
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
I believe that at 120 amps continuous, those batteries will not meet your operating requirements ... especially since you use your cart to pull "things".

What controller are you running? Does it have the capability to record battery amperage?

It is important to size a lithium battery pack to your load (amperage) requirements ... thus you need to determine what your actual load (battery amperage draw) is.
I have a Curtis 350amp controller. You are right, it would be best to know the amp draw. I'll do some measuring/testing with my multimeter this week or weekend.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:44 PM   #9
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

You'll need a DC clamp meter to measure those sort of currents, a standard multimeter will top out at 10A - 20A. Alternatively, you can measure the voltage drop across a low resistance shunt.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 03:09 PM   #10
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you are using your buggy for skidding or even pulling a tube on snow, you WILL be adding back the weight you loose by going lithium. Figure the cost of 300+ pounds of plate steel [or whatever else you can scrounge] to the bill.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO