lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2021, 03:49 PM   #1
dennycrane
Not Yet Wild

Default 2005 TXT 36v to 48v w/lithium

Hi all,
New here. Picked up my first cart over the weekend for a great price, just needs new batteries. I wanted to go lithium and was planning on picking up the Eco Battery 36v kit, but they told me this morning that they have discontinued the 36v model. Also having difficulty finding the Roypow 36v option. I'd prefer to go the single pack route so everything is controlled by one BMS. I started thinking that, while I'm at it, I should consider upgrading to 48v. Being new, my question is whether I can upgrade the controller and solenoid and throw a 48v lithium pack in there without upgrading the motor. Looking forward to learning a lot on here!
dennycrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2021, 03:57 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2005 TXT 36v to 48v w/lithium

Most motors in 36V carts can run fine on 48V.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:49 AM   #3
grtskydog
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I recently did the EcoBattery 48V conversion on my 36V TXT. The motor works fine, you just need a new controller and solenoid for the 48V battery. Night and day difference. The way to keep the 36V motor alive is to keep the RPM limits reasonable...ie below the mfr recommended limit.

I've been pretty happy with the Eco so far. My range per charge is a tad below expectations, but for what I use it for it's been a remarkable improvement over the stock batts/controller I was running.
grtskydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:15 AM   #4
superfan86
Getting Wild
Club Car

I recently took this same journey. Alltrax 400 amp controller and 48v lithium battery on a 36v cart.

Check to see if you are have the AMD or the GE motor. Black shell is typically AMD and is the "more desirable" and durable option for 48v, but both will work without issue. IF you are a Factory Freedom cart you will have the AMD.

The 48v hsky kit from bigbattery.com with the 10% discount (look around, they are all over youtube) was the best value I could find, although they just went up on prices (along with everyone else apparently) due to supply shortages.

ExtremeTeam makes a good kit too, and I like that they also include a built in 12v inverter.

Our local shop installs RoyPow and ECO. Both are good. ECO is more performance oriented.

With either kit, splurge for the 15+ amp charger. Hindsight for me, I would have gotten the sealed model for a little more. The cheaper open 15 amp that I bought the fan is always on, even when not charging, which means I have to unplug it between uses. Minor annoyance, but for what I spent, not one I would like to deal with.

Purchase a battery with around 100 Ah. That will give you 20-30 miles per charge even with aggressive driving. You will be disappointed in the range with the 50-60 Ah kits, and much over 100 and you are paying for range that would be nearly impossible to justify using.

-------
A member on here is selling a 48v RoyPow unit near you for a GREAT price.
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=178891

Just be aware that the RoyPow peak amp draw is less than an Alltrax 400 amp controller can draw, so you may have to stick with a 300 amp controller or limit your peak draw in the controller to prevent the BMS from cutting out.
superfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:55 AM   #5
grtskydog
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I have the 72AH. The last time I "logged" all that info (second full charge), I was at 16 miles on a charge...but that was running it down close to 48V settled. This is 20" tires and 3" lift. The tech at ECO said I should be doing better than 20 miles on that pack with my setup, but I have yet to hear back from anyone at ECO since I've followed up with this info. Your mileage may vary....literally.

I will re-iterate: while you're learning your ECO pack, don't rely on the "%" side of the SOC meter until you know how it calibrates to the Volt side of the meter. I've been trying to track mine for consistency, but I travel a lot and my wife doesn't care as long as the cart goes.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:19 AM   #6
superfan86
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtskydog View Post
I have the 72AH. The last time I "logged" all that info (second full charge), I was at 16 miles on a charge...but that was running it down close to 48V settled. This is 20" tires and 3" lift. The tech at ECO said I should be doing better than 20 miles on that pack with my setup, but I have yet to hear back from anyone at ECO since I've followed up with this info. Your mileage may vary....literally.

I will re-iterate: while you're learning your ECO pack, don't rely on the "%" side of the SOC meter until you know how it calibrates to the Volt side of the meter. I've been trying to track mine for consistency, but I travel a lot and my wife doesn't care as long as the cart goes.
What does the ECO pack look like installed? My brother has a Club Car DS with a strange battery configuration and I'm wondering if he could install one on each side of his cart in parallel, each replacing a cube 2 8v batteries.
superfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:26 AM   #7
grtskydog
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Here's my setup. Not sure how a Club Car battery tray is arranged, but with the TXT, there's room for another pack on the second row there. I put a HPDE plastic floor in those spaces, and use the second row to keep the little duffel that ECO included for a spare extension cord and other stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6220.jpg (91.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6371.jpg (93.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-20-2021, 09:37 AM   #8
rayres74
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtskydog View Post
I recently did the EcoBattery 48V conversion on my 36V TXT. The motor works fine, you just need a new controller and solenoid for the 48V battery. Night and day difference. The way to keep the 36V motor alive is to keep the RPM limits reasonable...ie below the mfr recommended limit.

I've been pretty happy with the Eco so far. My range per charge is a tad below expectations, but for what I use it for it's been a remarkable improvement over the stock batts/controller I was running.

I'm about to do this set up on a 95 metalist DCS and I have alltrax 500 controller. Question is you don't need to change anything on the controller settings correct when you're going from 36 V to 48 v? Meaning like there is no new map to upload or anything like that that you need to tell the controller you're going to 48 V correct? I do know about bringing down the amp draw if needed but was just wondering if there's anything else or does it just work going to 48?
rayres74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:39 AM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You should change the min and max voltage settings to ones appropriate for 48V and you might want to make sure you have a reasonable current limit set to keep from frying your motor.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO