lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2021, 07:11 PM   #1
UltraFast
Not Yet Wild

Default Upgrade cables between controller and motor.. is it worth it?

I have an RXV which I just installed the Navitas 600 amp controller. At the same time I installed 2 gauge cables to all batteries and from solenoid to controller.
Next week I知 taking the body panels off to paint. Since I値l have easy access to the motor I知 wondering if the 2 ga. cable will make any significant difference from the controller.
UltraFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2021, 02:11 PM   #2
superfan86
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Upgrade cables between controller and motor.. is it worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraFast View Post
I have an RXV which I just installed the Navitas 600 amp controller. At the same time I installed 2 gauge cables to all batteries and from solenoid to controller.
Next week I知 taking the body panels off to paint. Since I値l have easy access to the motor I知 wondering if the 2 ga. cable will make any significant difference from the controller.
What gauge cables do you have now? Short answer is that you will likely see some gains, but not as significant as going from 6ga to 4ga

This thread might answer your questions:
HERE
superfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 09:40 AM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
The RXV absolutely benefits from 2 guage wires. In fact, once you switch to 2 guage wires, the performance differences between the stock 235 Amp Curtis controller and the upgrade 350 Amp controller are reduced. I monitored current draw from the batteries and despite the higher current capacity of the upgrade controller, current draw did not even exceed the factory controller capabilities until the wiring is upgraded to 2 guage and additional programming is done to increase the accelleration rate. The 4 guage cables that come with the upgrade controller are not even capable of passing the 350 Amps that the controller is capable of, without excessive loss. Voltage drop in the battery wires limits performance. The additional cost of going to 2 guage wire is well worth it.

I chose to go back to my stock controller because it is more than capable of really good performance by just upgrading the wires. The accelleration rates are easy to change in the profile settings of the profile you are using.

Bob
Thanks Superfan for posting the link to that thread. I had missed it. Pretty amazing to see Bob's results testing the differences on 2ga cables.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:14 AM   #4
UltraFast
Not Yet Wild

I had 4 gauge till I converted to 2. This is what I have learned recently. The original A/C motors are wound in 4 gauge, the phase wires from the controller to motor are literally wired into the motor. Meaning, unlike conventional DC motors the power/phase wires are not removable.
UltraFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!