lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2021, 10:00 AM   #1
superfan86
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Lithium and cable gauge: Does it matter?

I'm on my 2nd lithium conversion and have moved more into the performance category.

Both my RoyPow 36v and my new BigBattery HSKY 48v 6 AWG cables. BigBattery is also rated at 350 amps for 6 seconds, which is a fairly significant load.

I understand fundamentally the advantage of a larger gauge cable, but I also understand that it is a function of length and resistance.

The amount of cable used from the lithium pack to the controller is already 6 feet shorter vs lead acid and power is flowing from the highly available lithium vs the 6 lead acid batteries in series, which seems like it would also reduce the resistance of the system significantly.

Before I go spend more money, does a lithium cart even benefit from going to a larger cable?
superfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2021, 11:48 AM   #2
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Lithium and cable gauge: Does it matter?

Well, 2ga cables are 0.364797" thick vs 6ga that are 0.580049" thick. And ends that are crimped AND soldered are the best setup.

Now, with that being said when you drive your cart, after a long run or a steep uphill run, when you stop and check your cables do they feel warm? Or worse hot?

The thicker cable will provide you with better performance.....depending upon your use.

If you have no heated up cables no matter where YOU use your cart, then don't replace 'em until you need to.

FWIW
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:55 AM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Dave are those numbers backwards? Either way check your cables for temperature after a hard run. If they are not warm just use them until they need to be replaced.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 02:22 PM   #4
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Not only backwards.....but wrong!!

6Ga = .1620
2Ga = .2576

I kept looking at those numbers when I posted 'em and that little voice said....boy...are you dumb!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 02:31 PM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Well made heavier gauge cables with high quality terminations will make a difference in performance and range. Do you need them? Not really as long as the ones you are using don't have bad terminations and have not gotten any corrosion from use with FLA batteries. Also, you can measure what you need and get custom cables that don't have any wasted extra length. That is what I did when I went to Lithium four years ago.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 08:13 AM   #6
superfan86
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the posts.

Some unscientific testing seems to indicate that the more 4ga cable the better.

All wires to the motor are 4ga.

Initially I had 4 ga cables from the solinoid to the battery and controller. And only the Anderson to my distribution block were 6ga. I Swapped the solinoid wires for 6ga in an effort to tidy.

The cart was previously lifting front wheels when floored from stop. This is no longer the case. Also, the wires are getting extremely warm. Not hot, but definitely wanted than I previously experienced.

I'll be ordering some custom Anderson 4ga and some new block- solinoid cable this week.

Is is significant? No, but for the cost of a few cables, I'll know I'm giving my cart absolutely the best power possible.
superfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:45 PM   #7
mlb75
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I made a full set of 1/0 cables for everywhere on my cart (batteries, solenoid, motor) when I upgraded to the Plowman motor and bigger controller, made the cables up before I made the swaps and on my factory Yamaha setup I picked up speed by just swapping out the cables, like 1-2MPH it was crazy. Is 1/0 overkill absolutely but I had it laying around and to be honest for the length needed for a complete set it's only a few more bucks to know it's NEVER a limiting factor. If you don't do anything else to your carts go bigger on ALL the cables.
mlb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 02:49 PM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

When I switched to Lithium, my ideal cable lengths changed so I went with 2 ga custom cables all around. Looks nice and it certainly cuts down on cable losses. My old stock cables were stiff and crappy anyway. I would upgrade the cables when doing a Lithium swap for sure.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium