lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2021, 09:33 PM   #1
Alby
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1995 Club Car Carryall 1 wiring issue

Engine won't start with yellow wire connected from SG to voltage regulator. Installed new voltage regulator-same thing won't start. Engine turns like its getting no fire when wire is connected. Disconnected yellow wire and starts up fine. I checked brushes on SG and they look fine. Having to charge battery every week because its not charging. Been messing with this for a few months and cant figure it out.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2021, 06:19 AM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: 1995 Club Car Carryall 1 wiring issue

What is the output at the S/G post?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 06:58 AM   #3
Alby
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

No I haven't. Ive been working on other things on the cart and this is my last thing to figure out- for now anyway! I hate wiring on vehicles. So what do I need to have voltmeter set at? And do I get reading from the positive post and ground of SG when running. I don't want to sound stupid, I can fix just about anything but when it comes to electrical I need help! Thanks
Old 06-03-2021, 08:15 AM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

How about a little history, when it started, been driving for years and just happened, worked on it and now it happened, changed something else and happened?

Sounds like something else around the V/R and solenoid area is not wired properly. any work in that area before the problem?
Old 06-03-2021, 08:16 AM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

And the only stupid question is the one not asked.....
Old 06-03-2021, 02:56 PM   #6
Alby
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I got cart on a trade from a friend in January this year. He got it running but still had issues and gave up. So i cleaned carb, installed new filters and runs great. I realized battery wasnt charging, so I pulled cover where VR and switches are and found yellow wire was taped up and not connected. I re connected and tried to start and engine acted as it was getting no fire. I disconnected yellow wire and it started right up. So i figured it was bad VR so put a new one in.-- same thing happened when i connected yellow wire-wouldnt start. I read a lot of posts before and couldn't find anyone having this issue. Never had a golf cart and am having fun with it , just want all the kinks worked out!
thanks
Old 06-03-2021, 03:42 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

There’s 2 wires that run from the black box to the back side of the engine. And 3 small wires total on the back of the motor. One is the field wire for the voltage regulator. It should be yellow. One is running to the oil level switch. It is also a yellow wire. The other is the kill wire for the ignition coil. It is black/white

Something tells me either they’re hooked up wrong, or (since they’re routed near the muffler) something got hot and melted them together. Might be easiest to just run 3 new wires... you don’t need the oil float wire if you don’t want to mess with that. It doesn’t do anything except turn on a light in the dash. It’s just a float and not a pressure sensor so it really doesn’t tell you a whole lot of you maintain your cart regularly.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:35 PM   #8
Alby
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I do have the wiring diagram. i checked once before and it seemed everything was right. ill chk again. the wiring on this thing looks so simple but apparently its not-at least to me!
Old 06-03-2021, 04:59 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If you have a multimeter check for continuity from the Yellow wire to the White/Blk striped wire that goes to the micro switch. There should be NO continuity between those two.
IF there is, you will get the symptom you describe because the ignition coil will be grounding through the yellow wire.

Yellow from the SG is only to the Voltage regulator for current control. It is not connected to any other circuit. It can not, and should not have any effect on the ignition kill circuit unless it is shorted to the White/blk stripe wire from the ignition coil/rev limiter circuit.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 05:31 PM   #10
Alby
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have meter- i will be working on diagnosing tomorrow PM. ill let you know what I find or dont find!! Thanks for the input
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car