lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2021, 09:06 PM   #1
Mike from Texas
Getting Wild

Default 1998 Club Car DS F/R contactor conversion

I’m looking to change the rotary F/R switch on my CC DS 48V.

I am currently going a body off restoration and am likely going with either the RoyPow 160Ah performance pack or one of the 200Ah Evolution custom packs from extreme team carts.

My cart has the following mods:
* 700A Logisystems controller
* 10.2 HP D&D torque motor
* 400A HD solenoid
* HD F/R rotary switch (to be replaced with contactor)
* 1/0 Welding cables
* 6” All Sports long travel suspension
* 23x10x10 off road tires

I’ve been trying to find a video to do the conversion or at least a wiring diagram but am not having any luck. Looking for feedback from those that have done this.

This is the contactor I’m looking at.

My main question is, is it safe to assume that all of the micro switch contacts are there as they are on the rotary style switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike from Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-14-2021, 11:14 AM   #2
morvolts2
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1998 Club Car DS F/R contactor conversion

theres lots of info out there that the cheaper SW202s are chinese clones and may not work as well as the real McCoy.

there are no micro switches on one of these.

heres a somewhat generic diagram using a curtis controller,verify with your controller manufacturer before wiring like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210114_110702.jpg (124.4 KB, 0 views)
morvolts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:12 PM   #3
Mike from Texas
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvolts2 View Post
theres lots of info out there that the cheaper SW202s are chinese clones and may not work as well as the real McCoy.

there are no micro switches on one of these.

heres a somewhat generic diagram using a curtis controller,verify with your controller manufacturer before wiring like this.

I didn’t mean there would be actual micro switches on the contactor but rather are there auxiliary contacts to connect the wires back to that are on the rotary style switch to tell the controller what position it is in.

My controller is a Logisystems 700 amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-16-2021, 09:37 PM   #4
Mike from Texas
Getting Wild

Any additional input?

Scotty?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-17-2021, 11:10 AM   #5
morvolts2
Gone Wild

what does your controller require?
you may have a microswitch on the throttle to engage the main contactor,so that its only on when needed.
Call you controller manufacturer and ask for a diagram. Better safe than sorry.
morvolts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:16 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The micro switches are addressed in the instructions included. With the Logisystems control you will loose the reduced reverse speed feature. This is a very base model control unlike the Alltrax SR controller which has programmable reverse speed triggered with the same power that engages the contactor in reverse.
Not really sure how you can activate that with the controller shown. Sergio may know of a way.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:04 PM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You can do it with the standard DPDT switch ScottyB sells with his conversion kit.

You will use one of the poles to control the Reversing Contactor switching and activate the reverse buzzer.

You will need to use two diodes like the ones below:
https://www.amazon.com/MCIGICM-Recti...ZZF/ref=sr_1_3

The other pole on the switch will control the reverse throttle signal to the Controller.

Since You will have two different voltages at the FNR switch, it is important that you tape each side well and be careful not to cross any wires during assembly.

The exact throttle wiring will depend on your specific Controller model number.

Please post the complete model number from the Controller label as it indicates the type of throttle the controller uses.

I prefer to wire the system so the pedal switch does not operate the Reversing Contactor, meaning the Reversing Contactor does not click on/off with the accelerator.

If you are concerned with forgetting the cart in gear and the key switch ON overnight, I posted an idea for a "delayed off" circuit for the Reversing Contactor.
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=167297
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:09 PM   #8
Mike from Texas
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The micro switches are addressed in the instructions included. With the Logisystems control you will loose the reduced reverse speed feature. This is a very base model control unlike the Alltrax SR controller which has programmable reverse speed triggered with the same power that engages the contactor in reverse.

Not really sure how you can activate that with the controller shown. Sergio may know of a way.

Thank Scotty. Somehow the current F/R switch does limit reverse speed (power) and honestly I don’t like it. Would it be bad to NOT have this feature? I would prefer to have full power available in reverse if needed. I have gotten into off road situations where I stalled the cart in reverse due to reduced power and that is less than desirable.

Old 01-17-2021, 12:21 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is a limitation of your old controller, newer controllers have independent torque and speed controls so you can program them to deliver full power at 1/4 throttle or less if you want.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 02:11 PM   #10
Mike from Texas
Getting Wild

Default 1998 Club Car DS F/R contactor conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
You can do it with the standard DPDT switch ScottyB sells with his conversion kit.

You will use one of the poles to control the Reversing Contactor switching and activate the reverse buzzer.

You will need to use two diodes like the ones below:

https://www.amazon.com/MCIGICM-Recti...ZZF/ref=sr_1_3

The other pole on the switch will control the reverse throttle signal to the Controller.

Since You will have two different voltages at the FNR switch, it is important that you tape each side well and be careful not to cross any wires during assembly.

The exact throttle wiring will depend on your specific Controller model number.

Please post the complete model number from the Controller label as it indicates the type of throttle the controller uses.

I prefer to wire the system so the pedal switch does not operate the Reversing Contactor, meaning the Reversing Contactor does not click on/off with the accelerator.

If you are concerned with forgetting the cart in gear and the key switch ON overnight, I posted an idea for a "delayed off" circuit for the Reversing Contactor.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=167297

I was hoping you would chime in Sergio. This is the only tag I am able to find on my controller:

It is a Logisystems controller and has very few wires to input:

In tracing the wires out I find the following:
* Red spade wire to solenoid coil
* Yellow spade to yellow on Vglide
* Green spade to F/R switch microswitch light green (could this be the reverse low speed input?)
* Contoller B- to red/white tracer to F/R microswitch black wire
* Controller B- to purple to Vglide purple
* Controller B- black #10 awg to OBC

What I am gathering is that all of the microswitch inputs on the rotary switch will now go to the new F/R toggle switch included in the kit?
If so I will need to extend those to the dash as I plan to mount the rocker switch in the dash rather than on the front of the battery compartment.

There are several other wires from the rotary switch to various other items:

* White/black tracer to solenoid coil
* Orange to dash (presumably buzzer that I don’t use since this is a hunting cart).
* There is a black and a white that join in the harness and connect to the Vglide black wire
* Green/white to Vglide green/white

Hopefully you can give me some insight on what each wire does. I’m an electrician by trade and did industrial controls for 8 years of my career so I feel like I have above average capabilities if given information.

Thanks for your help Sergio.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!