lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2020, 11:08 AM   #11
sigfla45
Gone Wild

Default Re: Crown battery charging profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
BOOM there it is!
sigfla45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2020, 11:24 AM   #12
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Amazing: Crown cr 165s didn't make the list. (unless I missed it)

Also seems to be missing: Trojan T105 and T875s although they are there listed as AGM.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:51 AM   #13
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

JohnnieB, that's the same list I found but it doesn't show the 165's. Right now I have it set like the 190's and 205's. Found a post that said set it the same as Trojan T875's but they're set different. Bought the charger used and didn't come with an owners manual so just been using the manual I found online.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:55 AM   #14
sigfla45
Gone Wild

I wasn’t confident in the 875 profile when I bought my Crowns. I read the discussion on here as I remember and decided to go with the Crowns. I think there may be confusion between the AGM and flooded versions. Plus that list is older. I would still call/email but I am pretty sure they will say mode 4.
sigfla45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:30 PM   #15
rngilliland
Gone Wild

The original manual was written for the switches oriented horizontally but the switches on the gen IV are vertical. The profiles now show both orientations but it still seems a little confusing to me. The #1 dip switch is the bottom one and #5 is the top one. Left is 0 and right is 1. If you look on the switch ( not the case) there are small embossed numbers on the switch. The manual is on their website if you need one.

Like other posters I think 4 is the correct profile but I would call them to be sure. When I talked to them I was told the only difference between most profiles, for the same manufacturer and type of battery, was the length of time before the safety timer shut the charger off.
rngilliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:27 PM   #16
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Just got off the phone with DPI and they said mode 4 was the one to use just like what was suggested here. They also said the factory default (mode 4) works for about 90% of the batteries. Thanks to all for your reply! This is a great forum for guys like me that can't leave stuff alone, just like my mother always said!
Old 10-21-2021, 08:56 AM   #17
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Resurrecting this post from a year ago. So after a year I'm figuring out that my batteries are not being charged properly. I have the DPI gen 4 charger as stated before and after contacting DPI they set me up with what they called a generic setting for any battery not listed. That profile or algorithm is the same as the Trojan T-105 which I'm finding out is incorrect. After charging and letting rest for 12 hours I'm finding out that the batteries are only 90% charged. Been trying to get ahold of DPI tech support for 2 days calling at 8am and nobody answers the phone, I leave messages and nobody returns my call. This place does not know what customer service is.

Called Crown battery and they were much better help but could not recommend a setting for the charger. They could only give me their charging instructions for charging the 165's as far as absorption rate and finish rate. All information that I as a consumer can't use.

So my question is this, does anybody have Crown CR165 batteries and use the DPI accusense Gen4 charger that can tell me what settings they use to achieve full charge?
Old 10-21-2021, 12:07 PM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

What SoC chart are you using to determine your batteries are only being 90% charged?

Here is a SoC chart I made for Crown brand deep cycle batteries. It is based on data from their maintenance brochure. (Attached .pdf) The voltages for 100%, 75%, 50%, 25% and 0% given by Crown were interpolated in 1% increments and the voltage values in 10% increments were copied to the chart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crown SoC chart.jpg (208.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Crown SoC.jpg (110.5 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Deep-Cycle-Product-Support-Broch.pdf (1.32 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:59 PM   #19
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for replying JohnnieB! I am using the chart that you sent me before, maybe in another post. The same as the one you have here on the left. After a 12 hour rest I'm getting a reading of 49.9 volts for the pack and 8 volts on each individual battery. My meter only reads 1 decimal place. Talking to Crown, they tell me the absorption rate should be 2.42 per cell and the finish rate should be 62-65 volts and from what I can tell the charger is reading 57.1 volts. The voltage immediately after the charger shuts off is 51.3 volts. Consequently I've talked to both DPI and Crown and neither can give me an exact answer as to where to set the switches. DPI says the closest they can get is 1, 2 &3 off and 4 & 5 on. DPI did say that the gen 4 charger does have float cycle. Said if left connected and the voltage is low after 28 days another cycle will start. The person at DPI couldn't tell me how to get the charging numbers that Crown specifies. DPI's customer service is terrible IF you can get ahold of them.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:23 PM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If the charger is only going up to 57.1V at the end of the charge cycle, something is wrong.

The DPI Gen-IV starts out with a pre-qualification stage, followed by the normal Bulk, Absorption and Finish stages.

The bulk stage is constant current. The amps are held at about 18A by varying the voltage applied. When the on-charge voltage (determined by the battery) climbs to about 2.4VPC (Volts per Cell) or 57.6V for a 48V pack, the charger advances to the absorption stage.

The absorption stage is constant voltage. The Voltage is held at 2.4VPC (57.6V for a 48V pack) and amps are allowed to decrease as determined by the battery. When the amps have decrease down into the 5A to 10A range (or so), the charger advances to the finish stage.

The finish stage is constant amps. The amps are held to whatever they were at the end of the adsorption stage and the volts are allowed to climb.

A lead-acid battery is not fully charged until the on-charge voltage ceases to rise while charging amps are passing through the electrolyte and the charger uses a process known as dV/dT (change in Voltage over change in Time) to end the charge cycle. The charger monitors the rate of voltage change during specified intervals and when those conditions are met, it ends the charge cycle.

--------------

In Mode 4, the on-charge voltage during the absorption stage ought to be 57.6V and it ought to climb above 60.0V in the finish stage.

Does the green LED come on steady green?

Also, it might be time to replace the battery in your voltmeter.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO