lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2019, 10:43 AM   #21
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: VRX460 Magnum

A couple more questions if you don't mind ? Is the VC460 you are using the long rod version with the VC modified cast piston with the flat top ? Which head gasket are you using ? They run from 20 some to sixty thousands.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-22-2019, 01:08 PM   #22
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
A couple more questions if you don't mind ? Is the VC460 you are using the long rod version with the VC modified cast piston with the flat top ? Which head gasket are you using ? They run from 20 some to sixty thousands.
I'm using the VC 4.510 long rod with NR bolts topped with the Ross piston I got from NR. Like I said earlier -- if my math is right I'll be .006 shy of a full deck. That's on paper - we'll see what it really is as soon as my order from Russell gets here. I need the cam so I can mark my piston reliefs plus measure the length of my push rods.
I normally run a .045-.060 composite head gasket - reason being - moderate compression 9.5/1 I think you have a better head to block seal with only 4 head bolts. I remember reading about blown steel head gaskets, I don't want to write about one. I have to pull the head off - got to replace the valve springs - I'll get some pictures of the head gasket on the head. The combustion chamber is wee small compared to the original head. I don't know what thickness head gaske to use till I can get some better measurements.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:10 PM   #23
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I was one of the guys that had 2 of the steel head gaskets let go. Using the 60 thous composite for third season with no issues.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:48 PM   #24
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

BGW wont send me a password reset, I can't get on here from my new PC!

I cut my piston down in a vice with some big V blocks, alum cuts so easy you don't need huge holding if you take it easy. I clamped up near the top where piston is solid, I did not tighten the vice that much (a kurt). Later I ground it down a little more just by putting 123 blocks next to it and magnet held it good enough to take off a few thou. This was cut for the Vegas rod in a 420, .100 or whatever Vegas was saying, it worked great, took a spin today. So I would likely just strap clamp over the skirts on a block you can vice, or get on your angle somehow. Or use the valve trick.

Not sure you will get a lot more torque out of it aside from the right cam, header, maybe long intake like I made. With the cheater Vegas cam mine pulls nice at say 3500 up past 5K. But I have no way of knowing if the header and intake make that much difference, on paper they should help. More compression will help torque. But overall everyone spins them faster for more power, given natural aspiration. have to say mine pulls great compared to a stock 420 which was not bad, I was surprised the cheater cam helped that much, I had the 1.3 rockers on there before that.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:08 PM   #25
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
BGW wont send me a password reset, I can't get on here from my new PC!

I cut my piston down in a vice with some big V blocks, alum cuts so easy you don't need huge holding if you take it easy. I clamped up near the top where piston is solid, I did not tighten the vice that much (a kurt). Later I ground it down a little more just by putting 123 blocks next to it and magnet held it good enough to take off a few thou. This was cut for the Vegas rod in a 420, .100 or whatever Vegas was saying, it worked great, took a spin today. So I would likely just strap clamp over the skirts on a block you can vice, or get on your angle somehow. Or use the valve trick.

Not sure you will get a lot more torque out of it aside from the right cam, header, maybe long intake like I made. With the cheater Vegas cam mine pulls nice at say 3500 up past 5K. But I have no way of knowing if the header and intake make that much difference, on paper they should help. More compression will help torque. But overall everyone spins them faster for more power, given natural aspiration. have to say mine pulls great compared to a stock 420 which was not bad, I was surprised the cheater cam helped that much, I had the 1.3 rockers on there before that.
Sho the standard predator 420 has 18.4 ft lbs of torque @2500 rpm -- it has a 31-32mm exhaust valve and a 36mm intake.

The Predator 420 Hemi makes 19.8 ft lbs of torque @2500 rpm and has a 34mm exhaust valve and a 38mm intake valve
It's said the head already has 1.3 to 1 rockers in it so I have a valve lift in the .338 area with a Vegas torque cam.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:55 PM   #26
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Here's a few pictures of the combustion chamber, it's very small. I have to cc the chamber and see how much more it can be opened up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6377.JPG (233.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6382.JPG (237.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-30-2019, 12:02 AM   #27
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

The build has started. The first job I'm doing is setting the end play in the crankshaft. Set up a dial indicator on the end of the crank and my end play is about .017. Using shims I bought from ARC I got it down to about .003-.004, that's just a little tight. When I open it to check the cam end play I what to change a shim and get my crankshaft end play at about .007
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6403.JPG (225.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6398.JPG (239.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6392.JPG (226.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-30-2019, 06:57 AM   #28
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I am certainly watching your procedure for when I do mine.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:54 AM   #29
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

So Shepard, what are your goal with this build? High rpm?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:42 AM   #30
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
So Shepard, what are your goal with this build? High rpm?
Increased torque @ 3600 rpm. I'm using the VC torque cam, if the rocker arms are a true 1.3-1 ratio the lift will be .338. The original VC 460 had 1.1-1 ratio with the tin rockers - I felt the power increase with the Gage 1.3-1 rockers
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps