lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2019, 10:32 PM   #1
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default VRX460 Magnum

I'm going to play "Follow the Leader" and build a 460 as wild as I can afford. I want the added torque but not the high rpm. I was saving for a ARC billet crankshaft but the bottom line is there made and balanced for an 88mm piston. I would have to balance the crank, rod and piston over
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #2
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Re: VRX460 Magnum

Sense I'm not looking to achieve more then 5000 rpm I'll use the stock crankshaft. The ARC crank would have to be balanced for the 92mm piston. I have a VC long rod at 4.510 topped with a Ross forged piston. On paper it measures .006 short of a full deck but I will know for sure when I assemble the piston and rod.
I assembled my block and external parts to figure my fastener count and make sure I have enough hardware. I bought a stud kit from NR for the head and side case.
I'm still looking for my camshaft - I've learned from Ray and Mike that the rocker arm ratio is 1.3 to 1 on the stock hemi head. This changes all my numbers, now I start over with a search for the next stage cam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6376.JPG (235.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6371.JPG (226.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-19-2019, 10:02 AM   #3
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Anyone know how many cc's the combustion chamber is on the hemi head? After checking over the head I can see that it's a better made casting over any stock casting.
The valves are bigger then stock heads and there's room for more. The quality of the combustion chamber is flawless, the valve seats are flush in the chamber and there is no shroud. Other then porting the hemi casting is perfect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hemi Head.jpg (238.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-19-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Can't wait to see what you come up with. Still wondering about the wedge piston with the hemi head.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:16 AM   #5
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Can't wait to see what you come up with. Still wondering about the wedge piston with the hemi head.
I'm running the piston listed below - it's a forged flat top with valve pockets cut for a standard valve configuration head. My plan is to cut new valve pockets in the proper location for the hemi valves. That simple - ya right

http://www.nrracing.com/product-p/nr460.htm
Old 08-20-2019, 05:46 PM   #6
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

My big problem is how to hold my piston in the mill and not deform the piston skirt. I bought a block of aluminum 2x4x4 inches off Ebay. My plan is to cut a hole 3.625 through the block - this will leave me about .187 +/- web on the thinnest point of the square block. I can cut one side of the block and make a clamp to fit the piston in and hold it in the mill vise.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:23 PM   #7
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I don't doubt your skills. Just didn't see an easy solution for the average builder with hand tools such as myself.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:34 PM   #8
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
I don't doubt your skills. Just didn't see an easy solution for the average builder with hand tools such as myself.
To bad you live so far away. You need to find a friend close by that has a small machine shop. There are times I have to go to the big machine company over in Nichols to get work done thats to big for my machines. I made a cannon a few years back and had to have a breech plug made and the barrel internally threaded. You could come up for a visit
Old 08-21-2019, 05:29 PM   #9
BIKERMIKEYBLACK
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Shepard watch Paul’s video on how to cut valve reliefs by gluing 60 grit red oxide paper on the valves and you get a exact position on the valves that’s how I did mine cuts pretty fast too
BIKERMIKEYBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:37 PM   #10
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
To bad you live so far away. You need to find a friend close by that has a small machine shop. There are times I have to go to the big machine company over in Nichols to get work done thats to big for my machines. I made a cannon a few years back and had to have a breech plug made and the barrel internally threaded. You could come up for a visit
You may have the first VC 460 hemi. It is not clear if Geoff & Co actually built one. If they did it was never shown. Does the cooling shroud on the head under the exhaust side figure in here ?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps