lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2018, 06:33 PM   #1
Fiji Steve
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2000 DS series very slow

I have a 2000 club car DS series cart.
It only just moves in either direction and only for a few yards.
Batteries read 51 volts resting and 49.9 under load.
Individual batteries all read 8.31 to 8.35 under load.
Motor has new rear bearing and works fine.
Potentiometer reads 0 to 7 volts when tested between yellow terminal 3 and B- on the controller.
M- to B+ on the controller reads 0 to 48 volts while accelerating.
Solenoid is good.
I appear to be losing current somewhere because with the cart raised it performs well but drop it back down and it seriously lacks power.
Is it possible the forward reverse switch is my problem. ? its about the only thing i haven't checked.
Fiji Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2018, 09:12 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 2000 DS series very slow

After those few yards does it just stop or lose power? And what is the pack voltage at exactly that time?

And you are sure the motor brushes are good?
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:25 AM   #3
Fiji Steve
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cool Re: 2000 DS series very slow

The cart stops and the voltage is still 50.4.
When i say it moves forward (or reverse ) i mean it barely crawls.
I changed the motor over from another cart but the problem persists.
I am by no means electrically challenged but this one has got me pulling out what little hair I have left. I emailed Dave at Revolution carts but got no answer. Please help.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:14 PM   #4
Fiji Steve
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Re: 2000 DS series very slow

An update on persistent problem.
In the last three weeks I have changed the ignition switch, the wiper potentiometer, the forward and reverse switch and the motor.
I have load tested the individual batteries they are all over 8 volts under load.
None of the battery wires are getting hot. All leads cleaned and mega tested ok.
Cart is charging correctly so assume OBC is good.
With the cart off the ground it leaps into forward or reverse. But put it down and it will only crawl about ten feet then stop. You can feel it trying or wanting to move but no go.
Could this be a controller problem ? Is there any way of load testing the controller ?
Old 07-24-2018, 06:42 PM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Did you replace the whole V-glide/Potentiometer or just the contacts, wiper arm and micro-switch. I mainly want to know if you changed out the resistors on the back of it.....
Old 07-25-2018, 12:51 PM   #6
Fiji Steve
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I just replaced the slightly worn wiper arm. I did not change the resistors. Is there some way of testing them. ?
Old 07-25-2018, 01:32 PM   #7
Steve-D
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Did you check the speed sensor? That seems to be a common enough problem. If the sensor is bad the cart goes into limp mode(very slow). Good luck.
Steve-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:57 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-D View Post
Did you check the speed sensor? That seems to be a common enough problem. If the sensor is bad the cart goes into limp mode(very slow). Good luck.
Steve, in a series cart there is no speed senor. That is on Sepex carts for their logic type controllers.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:06 PM   #9
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiji Steve View Post
I just replaced the slightly worn wiper arm. I did not change the resistors. Is there some way of testing them. ?
Yes, there is a bank of resistors on the back of the potentiometer. They have different ranges from ~600ohm to 1500+ohm. The main thing is check each one of them and make sure they have resistance. It should add up to ~5700 to 6300 ohms.

Look for a broken one. In this pic you will see I had one (2nd from the bottom) and that was the problem as could be yours....

Varible Speed Potentiometer.jpg
Old 07-26-2018, 01:36 PM   #10
Fiji Steve
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

After three weeks of pulling my hair out I finally (accidently) found the problem.
The yellow signal wire from the potentiometer to terminal 3 on the controller was so loose that a blast of air, intended to remove a spider, blew the wire off. I replaced the end lug and off she went !!!
All that money and time spent chasing a gremlin and a stupid spider showed me the problem.
Thanks for all your help. It helped me make sure the rest of the cart is ok for a while.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car