lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2017, 08:46 PM   #1
ryanlab
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cool VC 460 w/ pedal kill relay BACKFIRING

I have a ez-go txt with a VC 460 engine running the pedal acuated coil grounding system. I get the loudest back fire when I let off the pedal, as the engine is about to stop. Sometime it will backfire a second after the motor has already stopped. I have tried to make it richer, but the issue persists. If I let off the gas pedal at high rpms, and let the motor decelerate until it is at about 1300 rpms, then press the gas pedal, ka-boom! It sounds like a m80 coming out of the exhaust.

The only way to keep the engine from backfiring would be to always have the accelerator pedal pressed down a bit to keep the engine coil from grounding out. Any ideas?
ryanlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2017, 07:33 PM   #2
AaronW
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: VC 460 w/ pedal kill relay BACKFIRING

What's the spark plug look like? Maybe the engine coil became loose and the lash has been altered? Look for witness marks on the flywheel.

-Aaron
AaronW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:45 PM   #3
ryanlab
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey what's up Aaron! I thought I would take it to the forum before calling to bug you.

Engine runs great and the spark plug is perfect. I have isolated the cause of the loud pop out of the exhaust to the "engine ground using a relay" kit they talk about here in one of the sticky's. Mine is hooked to the microswitch on the gas pedal. When the cart and engine are decelerating, and my foot is off the gas(no spark to engine), as soon as the engine is about stall (100 rpms) it will backfire out of the exhaust something fierce. It makes you jump out of the seat.

It will also do the same thing if you allow the engine to stall with foot off pedal, and then press the pedal right before the engine stalls at a low rpms. It is almost like unburned fuel is stored in the muffler while the coil is grounded, and when given spark..KABOOM!
Old 06-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #4
ryanlab
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I can completely make this issue disappear by leaving my foot on the gas pedal just a little bit, to engage the microswitch and not the throttle cable. The engine will stall without the backfire at the end. I have the walker quiet muffler Vegas Carts sells.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:13 PM   #5
Low-Tec
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlab View Post
It is almost like unburned fuel is stored in the muffler while the coil is grounded, and when given spark..KABOOM!
That is exactly what is happening. Because the engine is still turning it is still pulling fuel from the carb, being unburned because of the lack of spark it passes into the exhaust. Back off the idle screw to close the throttle down more, should reduce the amount fuel collecting there.
Low-Tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:19 PM   #6
ryanlab
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Idle screw is completely backed out so there is no idle. I run it in the traditional fashion where the engine stalls when the pedal is released, and restarts using the s/g.

The carb has been tuned to where is won't pop on decel like the instructions say. So not thinking it is too rich, spark plug confirms..good mixture.

I'm wondering why nobody else has this issue?
Old 06-13-2017, 09:46 PM   #7
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

A lot of us use the key start and bypass the stop/start switch so that doesn't happen.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:09 PM   #8
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Your belt is too tight driving the engine after the coil is grounded and ignition fire is gone. All this time its pumping a weak mix of air and fuel into the exhaust system -- when you step back into it and there's ignition fire it lights up the mix in the muffler and kaboom.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:15 PM   #9
ryanlab
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Interesting. I run the belt tight as **** because the header is 1" above it and when the belt has slack in it, it slaps the header. I wrapped the header with fiberglass exhaust wrap to lower the temp of the header where the belt slapped. I will have to try this one.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:39 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

G2/9 runs the ignition with 12v stock, so I came up with the relay to let it run when it has power....from the pedal switch that starts and runs the cart, when you have pedal start on your swap like I do.

This is always an issue on carts even stock ones. You can try no idle, close the idle mix, try it with a slow idle proper mixture is how I run mine. It idles just faster than the starter in fact the comp release goes off sometimes. But I don't let off the pedal on big hills either so I don't know, its never backfired in normal use. I can tap the pedal a couple times starting it and it pops a little when its hot. Sometimes certain mufflers like to do this more than others, I use a car muffler. I've seen lawn equipment that would belch fire balls out the muffler at times, cool to me, not good for others lol.

You can put a bypass switch in for the pedal that lets it run, if you go trail or road riding you turn it on. But yes you have to remember it and so on.

I also set my pedal to have a larger idle range so its easy to keep my foot on it at idle. I also have a header than is around 20+" long into the car muffler, maybe that makes a difference.

Being lean at idle usually makes this worse because the mix will not burn until it has a built up. Richening the idle mix can help in that case.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps