lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2008, 07:02 AM   #1
kornva
Not Yet Wild

Default model JG 5 G9 gas

just got this cart and it won't run a lot of the time. It will run and go and then it just sets when you push the gas moves very slowly then finely catches and goes until you stop again then same thing.

new plug when you ground the plug aginst the muffler there is a faint spark but not like you would see with a car. It appears sometimes that there is no spark. Help I am new to golf carts and repairs.
kornva is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Default Re: model JG 5 G9 gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornva View Post
just got this cart and it won't run a lot of the time. It will run and go and then it just sets when you push the gas moves very slowly then finely catches and goes until you stop again then same thing.

new plug when you ground the plug aginst the muffler there is a faint spark but not like you would see with a car. It appears sometimes that there is no spark. Help I am new to golf carts and repairs.
its not a painted section of the frame is it?.....(sorry but I gotta ask.) some dont realize you need bare metal to check against...does it seem to start any fast with the choke on??....you would think it would not run well at all or stall while running if it was an intermittent spark?
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:44 AM   #3
kornva
Not Yet Wild

I used sandpaper on the muffler where the plug touches.
It also seems to load up with gas and will backfire after trying to get it moving. It seems to run ok after you once get it to start moving. I was told by a service person that I would need to try a new igniter but could not return it if it did not work and if they work on it they want 250.00 for the part plus hourly .
Thanks for asking about the grounding
kornva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
groundpounder
Gone Wild

Yamaha

check and clean all ground wires on the cart. adjust the valves to. yamaha are known to have bad ground wires. also clean the carb and jets and make sure the air box is sealed tight.
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornva View Post
I used sandpaper on the muffler where the plug touches.
It also seems to load up with gas and will backfire after trying to get it moving. It seems to run ok after you once get it to start moving. I was told by a service person that I would need to try a new igniter but could not return it if it did not work and if they work on it they want 250.00 for the part plus hourly .
Thanks for asking about the grounding
The best way to "damage" your "ignitor" is the spark test you did. Only use a "dynamic spark tester" (about 8.00 bucks from a auto parts store) no chance of the "spark jumping" and blowing the ignitor. My first suggestion would be..... Your negative battery cable is connected straight from the battery to the end plate of the starter/generator. There is a 18 gauge wire "pigtailed" into the eye end of this cable. Cut back the electrical tape, cut off the small gauge wire and install your own eye end connector to it. Then take off the 10mm nut holding on the negative battery cable and install the new wire/eye end on the stud and reinstall the nut. Now for the reason to try this.....Yamaha's used (before G16 magneto system) a "ground" for there electronic ignition. Bad ground and you can get a missed spark (almost like being out of time). There are many tests procedures (in a specific order) to test the ignition system. The last thing on the list (if everything checks ok) is the ignitor. Sorry no test for the ignitor. If all checks out , change the ignitor! One last "tip" The spark plug cap is "screwed" onto the coil wire, unscrew it, cut off some coil wire (to get a good flat/clean mating suface) and screw the cap back on. Please try these things first. Let us know what you found....It may help someone else in the future. Good luck. Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

hey that seems like the problem i'm haveing exsept mine seems to be a fuel issue, but then again my airbox lid isn't that tight, does it have to be?
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Yep, make sure the air box is sealed tight.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:49 AM   #8
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Looks like sabercat has really been doing some reading here. I see a lot of really old posts come back to life. Glad your getting some help you need.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:50 AM   #9
bubba1020
Getting Wild
Yamaha

yes. make sure you're airbox lid is TIGHT!
bubba1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:00 PM   #10
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

if it's loose the air still has to go through the filter though right?
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha