lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
clayton555
Not Yet Wild

Default 1988 Marathon rebuild

Well I've been on the site for some time now and I've even posted a few times, so I finally decided to go ahead and post some pictures of my cart showing everything I've done to it. So heres my story.

First I started out with an electric 1991 marathon that needed new batteries, that my uncle just gave me. So from there I took it all apart, repainted the frame and body, bought new batteries, lift kit, 23" tires, 12" wheels, and got it the way I wanted it. That lasted for about a year until I had to replace a couple electrical peices that I was told were going to keep going out because I had too big of tires and it was putting too much strain on the electrical system.

So I thought the only way to get around that is to get a gas cart, and I've been loving the new (to me) gasser one ever since.

I went with a 1988 marathon (that way I could reuse all the parts I just bought) and started all over with the painting, however I did get smart on this second cart and let a buddy of mine who does painting on the side paint this one. I reused the lift kit, wheels, tires, rocker panels, and kick plate then stole all the nicer parts off the electric (seat, cup holder, basket, etc.). The lift kit went on there okay, its a jakes 4" lift, which they say won't fit on an 88, but it will. You just have to buy a few extra parts (but that whole other subject). The front of the cart is a little bit higher than the back due to the front leaf springs are mounted on the 88, but I don't think its real noticable. Plus my tires don't rub like they used to on the electric. I had to go with more of a lawn mower tire because I do actually use this thing to play golf with.

So anyway, that is kind of my story, I've attached a few pics, 2 showing the old my old electric cart, and 3 showing the new gasser. Enjoy, I know you guys love pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0260.jpg (50.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0252.jpg (47.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2250 [800x600].JPG (129.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2254 [800x600].JPG (135.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2256 [800x600].JPG (129.7 KB, 48 views)
clayton555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
ChevyRacing75
Maybe This Weekend :)

Club Car

Default Re: 1988 Marathon rebuild

That looks good. That is sort of the color I am going to paint mine. It is a marathon also
ChevyRacing75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
gulffer1
Gone Wild

We do love pics!

Lookin good.
gulffer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Nice job!!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
Loud & Lifted
Here for the beer

E-Z-GO

Looks great
Loud & Lifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
turkey lurkey
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Nice work! Much nicer than my '89!. Say, would you be willing to sell your seat backs, posts, etc. off your electric? Guy I bought my cart from trashed them and I'd like to get it back to stock. p.m. me if interested.
turkey lurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
DEVO
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Great looking cart! I just joined a week ago. I have a 1988 marathon gasser that I'm starting to work on. Any suggestions about what you have learned from your experience? I'm having trouble finding some parts
DEVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:41 AM   #8
popatop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Nice Job clayton555, Like that color, They sure are fun to work on.
popatop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:04 AM   #9
chardonite
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It looks awsome,love the color.I have been looking for rockers like yours did you make them or buy them?If bought where? Thanks
chardonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:25 AM   #10
clayton555
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys, you can get the rocker panels at cartsplus.com or golfcarcatalog.com.

I orignanally bought the rockerpanel for my 91 electric cart, so I just transferred them over. Most of the parts that are made for the 89-93 marathons will work for the 88's. I'm pretty sure everything is the same except the front axle. That is the only thing that kind of screwed me up when putting the lift on.

Thanks again for all the compliments, this thing was a lot of fun to build, and just as much fun to drive. The only thing I would change about this is I wish I would have looked harder for a four stroke motor marathon. The two stroke motor is a little loud for the golf course. Other than that I'm pretty happy with it.
clayton555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO