lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2019, 10:56 AM   #1
Golfcartin
Not Yet Wild

Default Motor burnt. Need replacement advice.

I need you guys advice. I currently have a 2004 club car ds. My motor is out. I have an all trak 400 amp controller. Lift and 22 inch tires.
My controller should still work. No errors and lights up appropriately ( no guarantees it will work) from repair shop.

Should I buy a high torque motor kit ( 11 hp motor, Curtis 500 amp controller selenoid wires and f/r switch). $1300 Kinda scared with that big motor.

Or

Just buy another high torque motor. Red hawk 5.5 hp (that’s what repair shop sells). 770 bucks

We like to cruise around slow with kids and occasional mud ride. I had a stock motor before that was programmed for high torque.

Give me some advice please! Thanks in advance.
Golfcartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2019, 11:13 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Need advice. Motor is burnt

Your topography and terrain have a lot to do with it. If you have some hills you'll be pulling you might want some more torque. If you are driving flat all the time the extra torque won't be needed so save the money.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:19 AM   #3
Golfcartin
Not Yet Wild

We use it on the farm. I use the bed a lot. The all Stock setup was so slow and had no power.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:27 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The golf cart motor works the hardest when it is going the slowest. Read that again

Increasing the tire size, the weight load, or towing all increase the motor workload. If you have any of the above features and drive slow it will multiply the amount of work the motor is doing.

Go with a big torque motor and all the fixins - or go to the shop over and over again. I hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:28 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Motor burnt. Need replacement advice.

I think I just replied to an identical question here > http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gener...tor-burnt.html
Old 04-04-2019, 11:35 AM   #6
Out2Sea
Gone Wild

So was your OEM motor gray or black? Did you run the full 400 amps.

Whatever motor you get you will more then likely have to update the controller motor field map so you don’t ’ damage the new motor.

You should be able to find a good torque motor for less then your quote. That blue one is made in the good old US of A.
Out2Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:19 PM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Are we speaking in regards to a Series or Sepex system?

Is that Alltrax a newer XCT/SR or an older AXE/DCX controller?
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:52 PM   #8
Golfcartin
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the advice. I think I will go with a new everything from buggies unlimited. My all Trak is about 5 years old. Not sure the exact specs. 400amp. Programmed for torque on a stock motor but the motor is done. 15 years of abuse. Mud and cow shattt taken it’s toll on it.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:11 PM   #9
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

You purchase wherever you like, but I would be VERY careful with Buggies Unlimited.... Research before you buy....

Look at the site sponsors here for the best deals and service.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:45 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Posted in the other thread of the same name ?
The golf cart motor works the hardest when it is going the slowest. Read that again

Increasing the tire size, the weight load, or towing all increase the motor workload. If you have any of the above features and drive slow it will multiply the amount of work the motor is doing.

Go with a big torque motor and all the fixins - or go to the shop over and over again. I hope this helps

AN Alltrax is an Alltrax no matter where you get it. The warranty is from Alltrax not the seller. So when it comes to sellers just look for price and freebies included. Granted freebie is not a word used at BU much
A controller 5 yrs old would have been a DCX not the newer XCT. So - it didn't have reverse polarity protection and that means that 50% of the time 'when the motor goes out it takes the controller out with it'. Ask your tech to verify that with the Alltrax diode check test.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car