lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2018, 04:00 PM   #1
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Lithium-shoulda done it a long time ago

I’ve really needed batteries since I rebuilt my cart a year and a half ago. It wasn’t getting a lot of use, so it wasn’t a priority. Then I started looking into lithium, but by the time I began getting even halfway comfortable with that, Nick at EV had his unfortunate health issues. The cart is now starting to get used regularly again, so I got to searching again and even looked into the Chevy volt option that some members here have used with success. While learning about that, I happened to reach out to another member who has done quite a few conversions using EV’s products. He suggested I reach out to them and see what they have going.

Fortunately, I caught them at a good time. I went back and forth for a bit deciding whether to build it myself, but ultimately went with the already assembled leaf battery pack since it was only about $100 more. I still had to make a box, build a few cables, and re-wire some stuff, but the pack was already assembled with the bms wired up. All in all, thanks to the help I had, it was pretty simple to do.

As far as the performance goes, it’s awesome. The first test drive was a blast. I was coming from 36v, so between the increase in voltage, and the reduced weight, it’s a completely different cart. I haven’t had the time to figure out my range yet, but I’m hoping it will be enough. Another good thing is that you can charge it anywhere you have an outlet. My cart stays in the neighborhood, so I’ll throw a cord under the seat in case I need it. If I need to, I can always double the pack. Speed wise, I hit 31 yesterday and it cruises uphill. Other than testing it, I don’t usually have the pedal down much more than halfway.

If you’re on the fence about it, just do it. It wasn’t cheap, but it was worth it. Like I said, I got some great advice from a member here (I’m not going to throw out his name. I’ll let him decide if he wants to field a bunch of questions) that helped me figure out what I needed, and how to go about it, but it’s pretty straightforward with the bms and pack already assembled.

I’ll be more than happy to pass along what I learned
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 782F22C0-1501-4B75-B970-A4C0C7065C3D.jpg (146.6 KB, 0 views)
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Lithium-shoulda done it a long time ago

Nice looking install. Having the big Anderson plug to isolate the pack easily is a nice addition too. Any time I mess with wiring I just disconnect the pack and have no worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:08 PM   #3
Jmzvet
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That is super clean. Can't justify the conversion cost at this point but def in my future plans
Jmzvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:31 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Looking good, you big spenders are making everybody jealous.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:12 PM   #5
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Well, if I get the life of two lead acid packs out of it, I’ll be ahead. 🙏
Old 05-20-2018, 01:12 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post
Well, if I get the life of two lead acid packs out of it, I’ll be ahead. 🙏
My opinion (and only opinion, as none of my conversions are 7.5 years old yet) is "will be about 1.5x the life of well cared for lead batteries". I feel some of the investment must also be considered to include things like increased performance, and near-zero maintenance, no smell while charging, no acid/corrosion mess ever. I feel these conversion jobs can't be considered only on lifespan, or it would not make $ sense.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #7
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36Racer View Post
Nice looking install. Having the big Anderson plug to isolate the pack easily is a nice addition too. Any time I mess with wiring I just disconnect the pack and have no worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I’ve seen your stuff, so appreciate the compliment coming from you. Now that I’ve freed up some space, may have to take a page from your book and throw a sub in there.

Being able to cut all power just by dc’ing the Anderson is very convenient. Note for anyone like me who didn’t know: the color of the Anderson connector matters. All colors of the same model have the same ratings, specs, size, etc, but each has a slightly different housing that will only mate with the same color. I was anxious to get installing, so I bought everything I needed from Amazon prime. The pack already had a red sb175 installed, but I could find only the gray on prime. When I realized gray and red don’t mate, I had to spend half a day driving around town finding one or the other.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:18 AM   #8
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
My opinion (and only opinion, as none of my conversions are 7.5 years old yet) is "will be about 1.5x the life of well cared for lead batteries". I feel some of the investment must also be considered to include things like increased performance, and near-zero maintenance, no smell while charging, no acid/corrosion mess ever. I feel these conversion jobs can't be considered only on lifespan, or it would not make $ sense.
Appreciate the info. I like to tell myself, and especially the wife, that it was an economical decision, but in reality all the stuff you mentioned was a factor. Plus, it’s just cool. 👍
Old 05-20-2018, 11:35 AM   #9
Riso
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Very nice!
Riso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #10
John Long
Not Yet Wild

Very nice. Thank you for sharing. Wish I could get a step by step guide.
John Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO