lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Hunting and Fishing
Hunting and Fishing Post all your hunting and fishing experiences here.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #111
gstoneberg
Gone Wild

Default Re: Where are all the deer pics?

They'd just started offering those doe tags the last year or so we were there. I think things will change because the younger hunters I knew didn't have the aversion to doe shooting. We actually had an old guy at a check station brag he'd passed a doe to shoot a button buck fawn. I just don't get that, and then they whine about not seeing many bucks.

I remember that flood, our friends from up there send us web pages to visit to look at photos. Sadly, none had our pond in it. I had it dredged while we were there and a burm built to prevent the river from backing into it again. I wonder if it worked? Yea, that stretch of 275 along the river was scary to drive during the rut when the bucks were running the does into cars and trucks. I80 along the Platte was just as bad. A friend and the semi's around him hit 18 deer in one herd one night out that way. The big trucks didn't even stop. Dave's Tahoe wasn't drivable. I hit 3 in the years we lived there.

George
gstoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #112
TreeBass
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinman88 View Post
So now 4 or 5 areas are earn a buck. You have to check a doe with your buck. You can shoot the buck first, but you can't check him till you have a doe too.

I know the guy with the game and parks that gives out the depredation tags for this area. A couple years ago he finally told landowners if you don't let people in to shoot the does we're not giving you a depredation permit.

I like that idea. alot of the "old" timers have a bad aversion to shooting does. My thought process is, I have yet to find a recipe for antler stew
TreeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #113
reinman88
Gone Wild

I think earn a buck can be good, but it's hard to do it right. Here you just need the doe when you take the deer in to be checked. Problem comes when it's in the 60s and you can't find that doe for a couple days. Hard to let a buck hang in the barn that long when it's that warm. We had a couple guys worried because all we were seeing was babies, and they really didn't want to have to shoot a baby just to get that antlerless deer.

I think there is a couple ways to do it better. Archery starts in Sept and rifle isn't until Nov. If a guy shoots his buck with rifle in Nov, he should be able to show his filled archery tag which shows he's killed a doe that year. It shouldn't matter what weapon he used just as long as he shot a doe.

Or they could set it up where if you shoot a doe this year, then you are eligible for a buck tag the next year. Of course you would have to shoot a doe again the next year to again be eligible for a buck tag the year after that. Basically you shoot your doe 1 year ahead of when to need to. As long as you shoot a doe each year, you'll always be able to get a buck tag.

The first year they started earn a buck they found the doe was more popular dead then alive. She may have had 3 or 4 bucks chasing her during the rut. But outside the check station the pickups were lined up waiting to use her as their antlerless deer. They finally had to start notching ears so the same doe wouldn't come through 5 or 6 times.
reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #114
reinman88
Gone Wild

Quote:
I remember that flood, our friends from up there send us web pages to visit to look at photos. Sadly, none had our pond in it. I had it dredged while we were there and a burm built to prevent the river from backing into it again. I wonder if it worked?
I bet it had problems.

The sandpit on the west side of West Point had the river run through it. For a couple hundred yards the river just changed course. Going south out of West Point they were making a new sandpit right near 275. This was right on the edge of town. The flood picked up the $250,000 pump and barge and sent it down stream. They found it a couple weeks later lodged in some trees. They were happy though. They thought the thing might have flipped over and the pump was at the bottom of the sandpit.

The Elkhorn flooded in 2008. My kids gave me a bad time when they found out I waded about 100 yards through waist deep water to save a trail camera. But the 2010 flood was much worse then 2008. In 2010 if you were in Norfolk and wanted to go to Omaha, you went to Onawa Iowa and then south to Omaha. I knew a guy that had to go from Oakland to Fremont and back each day. He ended up going all the way down to Waterloo, then back up to Tekamah and across to Oakland. I think it was 70 some miles instead of 14, twice a day.

Of course none of that was as bad as the Missouri this year. Guess that's why I live on a hill.
reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #115
gstoneberg
Gone Wild

The 100 year flood plain line was about 3' from the corner of our old house. Barely got out of paying for flood insurance while we lived there. It really didn't matter as the lady that bought it didn't keep the pump running for the pond and had a big fish die-off in 2008. Sad to think of all those bass, crappie and catfish I worked so hard to grow. So if it's full of carp again like it was when we bought it in '94 I guess it doesn't matter. Here's a memory lane picture, you can see see the burm behind me.

George
gstoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #116
thecurti
The G8 wrecking ball

Yamaha

Got frustrated trying to put up interior walls on the garage yesterday, so I retreated to my deerstand for the afternoon.
Took a nice doe. Hog tied her as$ on back and came on home
Sorry for the terrible pic, I amused myself
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by thecurti; 01-03-2012 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: wrong pic
thecurti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #117
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down South View Post
My youngest daughter killed this one last week. 21 points and scored 182. There were two more points that were 7/8" and didn't score. If those points were scored, it would be a 23 point and a score of 184.
She killed a 162 class last year. She has killed four deer so far this year plus three wild hogs.
Besides being a great hunter, she is soooooo good looking!
Texas001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #118
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono Country Boy View Post
3 1/2 is about right for sure. I watch them year round and see the same ones grow up from fawns so I can usually peg their age pretty close.
Did you ever hear of the "aging by the ear" method? Of course you have to harvest the buck first. if you are interested in how to do it send me a pm and I will explain the procedure.
Texas001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #119
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

She is my age! I am guessing

Curtis that is awesome
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #120
milky7272
Not Yet Wild

212 LBS I killed behind my old house here in N.C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011DEER.jpg (68.3 KB, 8 views)
milky7272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Hunting and Fishing