lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Hunting and Fishing
Hunting and Fishing Post all your hunting and fishing experiences here.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #101
TreeBass
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Where are all the deer pics?

those are some great looking bucks!
TreeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #102
gstoneberg
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinman88 View Post
Took this buck yesterday while black powder hunting.

I still use the old side hammer gun with no scope and lead balls we pour ourselves. Saw this guy in the morning, so I moved to a stand near by for the evening hoping he'd just reverse his direction. And luckily he did.
That's a cool buck! 2 beams, I've never seen that. I shot one deer up north with a round ball during MZ season with a borrowed gun. It was fun, but when I bought one myself it was more modern. Good times.

We moved down to Texas from Nebraska in 07, lived near Fremont up there. Saw a lot of nice deer in Nebraska, but the buck/doe ratio was really off where I hunted. Gobs and gobs of does and fawns for each buck. Much larger bodied deer than I shoot down here though. I miss Nebraska deer.

George
gstoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #103
reinman88
Gone Wild

Quote:
lived near Fremont up there. Saw a lot of nice deer in Nebraska, but the buck/doe ratio was really off where I hunted. Gobs and gobs of does and fawns for each buck.
I'm about 8 or 10 miles northeast of Fremont, and hunt on the Elkhorn river. We had way too many does too. With lots of permits and landowner kill permits we killed hundreds of does over the last 4 or 5 years. Now I think we may actually have more bucks then does. Gets hard to find a doe sometimes. But with a better buck/doe ratio and not shooting any little bucks we now have a lot more big bucks.

We have pictures of a lot of our bucks, and actually have a shooters list. This buck was probably 4th or 5th on the list, but that was from the trail camera picture that didn't show the lower kicker. That kicker would have moved him up to 3rd.
reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:05 PM   #104
0517murphy
Redneck in Southside

Club Car

Thats the best way to manage heard, the problem in most places there is too many horn hunters. been there done that this year first two I took were Does the rut had not come in during mz two weeks, so started filling freezer with Does
0517murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #105
gstoneberg
Gone Wild

Wow, we were close. I lived about 2 miles north of Winslow and my 21 acres were on the Logan Creek. The Elkhorn was about 2 miles away. I hunted on the Elkhorn just outside Scribner as well as my place. Had another spot almost inside the city limits of West Point on the Elkhorn.

You've done well, one December at the place by Scribner there were 98 deer in the 20 acre corn field I was watching. 96 of them were does and fawns. I'm sure some bucks came out in the dark later, but still...

I do hit lists too, especially since moving down here. I only had just started using trail cams up there before I moved. There are still 2 bucks on the list down here, an 8 and an 11, 4x4 and 5x6 in Nebraska-speak. To be honest though, I use the trail cams more to choose times to be at which stands for hogs now. Love to shoot them at night with night vision on the rifle. Ever make it down to Dallas and want to go, let me know.

George
Old 12-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #106
reinman88
Gone Wild

Quote:
Wow, we were close. I lived about 2 miles north of Winslow
I'm about 3 miles downsteam of Nickerson.

The guy that owns the ground I hunt has about 250 acres of river bottom woods, basically most inside a big bend in the river. There is also a neighbor that has about 200 acres where he lets no one hunt. The landowner where I hunt also owns the ground across the river, and the guys to our north hunt the way we do. So basically we control close to a mile of river bottom on both sides which helps when letting the little ones get bigger.

We had big herds here too. One winter between permits and depredation permits we killed over 160 deer. I started hunting in Sept, and didn't quit with depredation permits until March 1st. For the first time in my life I was sick of deer hunting. Of course the depredation permits wasn't really hunting, it was more just killing deer. One day with someone pushing a herd to us, 5 guys killed 15 deer in about 5 minutes.

Today we don't have nearly as many deer, but our quality has gone up. Having seen both, I'd rather have the quality then the quanity.

I'd love to shoot some hogs. I'm tired of buying pork to mix with my venison when making sausage and brats. Wish Dallas wasn't so far.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:03 PM   #107
TreeBass
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Today we don't have nearly as many deer, but our quality has gone up. Having seen both, I'd rather have the quality then the quanity.
Thats where we are trying to get to, better quality. Our buck/doe ratio is right near 1/2, and this is after shooting darn near ever single doe seen a few years back. We have to shoot 15 does vs 5 bucks this year. I may not shoot a buck if I don't see an ol swayback, or management one.

I agree with using the cams to "time or pattern" the pigs and deer, works quite well for us too
TreeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:08 AM   #108
gstoneberg
Gone Wild

Quote:
I'm about 3 miles downsteam of Nickerson.
Small world. I used to hunt on a friend's place right off 91 where the elkhorn crossed the highway. Never killed anything there though. Controlling a mile of riverbottoim would be the only way you could do any deer management. I could not get the landowner's kids to shoot does where I hunted. They absolutely would not do it. I killed as many as I could, but never made a dent. Then, in the winter when they yarded up there the imbalance was really obvious. He kept talking about getting depredation permits but never did that I know of.

I started hog hunting in Texas the last 2 or 3 years when I lived up there. Our first hunt, near Laredo, was quite a drive. And, we were halfway there just before crossing the border into Texas from Oklahoma. Good memories.

George
Old 12-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #109
reinman88
Gone Wild

Quote:
I could not get the landowner's kids to shoot does where I hunted. They absolutely would not do it. I killed as many as I could, but never made a dent. Then, in the winter when they yarded up there the imbalance was really obvious. He kept talking about getting depredation permits but never did that I know of.
Yeah we have a lot of people that won't shoot does. The last few years with archery, black powder, and even rifle in some areas, they gave you a free antlerless tag to encourage shooting does. But still some would not do it. So now 4 or 5 areas are earn a buck. You have to check a doe with your buck. You can shoot the buck first, but you can't check him till you have a doe too.

I know the guy with the game and parks that gives out the depredation tags for this area. A couple years ago he finally told landowners if you don't let people in to shoot the does we're not giving you a depredation permit.

From West Point south along the Elkhorn there aren't as many does anymore. Had a big flood in 2010, one of those one in a hundred year kind of floods. Plus had a hard winter in 2009. That and thousands of doe permits has finally started to work. They tell me west of Norfolk they don't have enough hunters so the deer are still thick.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #110
9dawgs
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Hmmm, sounds like you folks up in Nebraska need some reinforcements from Florida. I'll talk with the boys and we'll come up and take care of some of those pesky does for you :>) I'm all about filling the freezer. If I can shoot a big ol' buck in the process then that's just icing on the cake. We are actually heading up to our hunt/camp the day after Christmas for a week which is Antlerless Deer Season in that zone here in Florida specifically for that purpose. The deer are plentiful up there and my friend who owns the farm we hunt wants us to take all we can because they destroy his crops. I love me some venison...
9dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Hunting and Fishing