lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Hunting and Fishing
Hunting and Fishing Post all your hunting and fishing experiences here.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2009, 10:11 AM   #41
JMatyas
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Turkey Hunters

Am I wrong in assuming they roost in the same area each night. If this is the case then at least you can try to get some decoys set up before daylight the next time you go out. I never had that opportunity, my evening scouting was limited.

I may try JW Corbett in Martin County. 30 some birds taken the first week. This is a management area with fields that were mowed and planted.
JMatyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #42
LongbeardExpress
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Good luckif you go J. Usually they will roost inthe same area if not the same tree unless they are disturbed. We have our NWTF banquet on friday, but I am going to try and go Saturday. Good Lord willin and the creeks dont rise.
LongbeardExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:28 PM   #43
Admiral Nelson
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Kansas season starts April 8 and I'm headed out with the Admiral Nelson turkey Express. If the weather hold out we should have our the first PM as we are located on Night roost route. Haven't figured how to post pictures here but under my profile I have a couple pictures with a turkey driving. Good luck to all you fellow turkey hunters. wahoooooooooooooooooo
Admiral Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:36 AM   #44
turktrax
Getting Wild

Club Car

Good luck to you too! Hope yall bag a big one.

Jmatyas, what LongbeardExpress said is true. They will generally roost in the same area but that all depends on where you live. They will go where the food and nesting grounds takes them. Once breeding really kicks off then things get a little bit changed up. A certain area may be holding them in for right now but when a certain food starts to bloom such as berries they may tend to move a little but it wont be like they are gonna move completly out of your area. Just try and keep tabs on them and you will get lucky.
turktrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:40 PM   #45
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Wife and I got to camp yesterday. Timber company is thinning the whole tract here. We'll have to go cross county to hunt tomorrow.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:19 AM   #46
Admiral Nelson
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

good luck where we hunt is mostly pastures and grain fields and wide open, the Turkeys will walk for a couple of miles and usually loop back just before dark. The first time I say all the cow paddies turned over I couldn't figure what could do all that, just a flock of turkeys picking up bugs and green plants. We have hunted this area for years and have them figured out unless mother nature changes from rain to snow or nice weather. Most of the time the Toms are with the hens and tuff to pull away in the am but later the whole bunch head back to the creek and trees to roost . We Deer hunt the same area in the fall and it's not that uncommon to see 200 in a bunch, Turkey fever running high and hope the weather hold out for us it's about 250 miles out to hunt.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:59 PM   #47
LongbeardExpress
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmanmike View Post
Wife and I got to camp yesterday. Timber company is thinning the whole tract here. We'll have to go cross county to hunt tomorrow.
Any Luck Buck? We went this morning and heard a couple gobbles on the roost but nothing once they hit the ground. Ended up going back to the cabin and put the gas tank back in the jeep.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #48
turktrax
Getting Wild

Club Car

7 more days before I get home and get to do some hunting. Good luck to all of yall!
turktrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #49
Admiral Nelson
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Turkey Hunters

unless you can get their attention before they fly down in the am they will stay with the hens, still early and the Toms are travling with the hens. About noon some of the toms will leave and start looking for other hens and that is your best chance. He has several hens he roosted with and that's better than a hen in the bush. Remember when he gobbles he telling you where he is and come to him not him coming to you. Yes sometimes you can get their attention my I have had better luck later in the day. Season is early and he hasn't hit all the hens yet so there is still time when the hens are on the nest and he out checking the other hens. That's when he's not using his little head. Can you put corn out in your state, if you can they some will come in during the day and ours hit it before they roost. We string a long line out before season and if they pass it they will follow it to the barrel and keep coming back. You can stop the feeding before season and they will still hit the spot. Have fun and save me some turkey.,
Old 03-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #50
LongbeardExpress
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Well we got who do-ed again. We went again and definately had birds gobbleing all around us. We were also sitting under 3 hoot owls that about made me clean my shorts out after I blew my first hoot. They started answering me and I had never been that close to them. They were LOUD! The turkeys were answering us good on the roost. They flew down and went quiet.
My son and I decided to move into the bottom we had heard the most birds in. We crept down the hill and started calling. After about 5 minutes we got a bird to answer us. I called to him for about 20 minutes with him answering almost every call, but not moving. We decided to chase him. We walked up atrailtoward him about 15 yards and called again. No answer. We moved about 10 yards and called again. Still no answer. We continued this for about 150 yards and did not hear the bird again.
After that we went to another area to try some cold calling. We set up and had no luck.
While walking back to the Longbeard Express we walked up on another dog on the road making his wayto my calls and his dinner so he thought.
My brothe in law was also hunting that morningwith a friend of his and they had the same problem with birdsnot talking on the ground. Healso walkedup on a hen and poult that had been eaten.
We discussed our hunts and came to this conclusion:
Dogs have got all our birds scared and quiet. We had dogs that would come to my turkey calls last year, The dog I saw last Monday came to the field we were hunting and then whenI started calling with him looking around the field he made a B-line straight for me. And I believe the dog I saw Sunday was coming to my my calls. And all these dogs were all different dogs guarenteed. I believe that is what has got us chasing quiet birds. They are staying deep in the woods and not talking to hide from the dogs.
We did find a good spot with some fresh scratches deep in the woods. We are going to try and get there next time we go and hope for the best.

On a positive note my buddy killed a 24 lb and a 21 lb bird saturday on his land. The 24 lb bird had 1 1/4 inch hooks and 11 1/4 inch beard. These are all certified measurements because he took them straight to the hunting store and had them measure. That was a monster bird.

Let me know what you think of my theory.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Hunting and Fishing