lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default cheap clutch and hp mods?

So i just picked up my g16 and im gonna lift it with 22" tires. Its going to be used in the mountains so i need some torque and mid range power. Im probally going to swap out the motor for an atv motor i have. In the meantime, are there any cheap clutch and horsepower mods i can do?
panteramatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: cheap clutch and hp mods?

Not really.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I think its Plowmans' that offers a performance kit,but its, still not gonna compare to a clone,Vanguard, or other engine in overall performance. Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I'd say on the cheap shop for a umax spring and buy a new cheaper belt but 1 1/4 wide in same diameter. Either/both will help you out best for low cost....is my best guess. Motor mods, I don't know of any that are cheap and do much other than normal tuneup stuff if it needs it. Best to save up for large engine it makes a huge difference even swapping a clone in, but is a project in itself. Clean the clutches and lube them that can help performance, make sure nothing is worn out/damaged/etc. You will lose a lot of power if the clutches are not working right.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #5
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Cheap as in less than 400$ or up in the 1500$ range??? Either way call plowmans carts.. Ask for don.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:28 PM   #6
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Does the umax spring really help and where can I find a wider belt?
Old 03-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #7
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Plowmans has a good belt for better performance.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:11 AM   #8
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

So better belt and umax spring. Could anyone give me the part # on the spring? Would I need anything else to install the spring?
Old 03-09-2014, 12:10 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If you are talking "cheap" as in "almost no cost", I'd say, again, not really.

If you are talking "restoring power to stock levels", I'd say complete engine tune up, clean carb, new belts, disassemble, inspect, and clean clutches. But this really isn't "cheap". You are looking at $100-$200 depending upon what you need and where you buy it. This may restore stock power levels to 9-11hp.

If you are talking about "adding more power than stock", I'd say port and polish the head (free if you have the tools), mill the head ($30-$50 at machine shop), add a free flowing exhaust ($50? homemade), jet the carb and open up the air intake ($10), U max spring ($40?). For $150 you may pick up a couple horsepower and quicker revving, and better hill climbing.

If you are talking about "powerplant upgrade", I'd go with a Vegas Carts clone engine, stock 20hp, use stock clutch if it's in good working order. If you make your own engine mount you could do it for less than $500. Power will be much improved over stock, possible top end 30+ mph. Low end torque for hill climbing and towing/working will be almost double.

As you can see, it's not a simple answer. You have to determine your budget and your skill level and choose the best path for you.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #10
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Im currently debating swapping my polaris 500 motor into it or just selling the atv and buying the clone which in the end would be cheaper and easier but less hp. Im heading to my cabin in 3 weeks with some friends and will need a little more power and tq for the mountains. I just dont want to spend much on this motor as it will be getting sold soon.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha