lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #1
plantguy90
Getting Wild

Default battery load tester

Quick question, see a bunch of cheap 6/12volt testers on ebay that are rated to 100 amps, are those enough to test cart batteries to see if they are good under a load?
plantguy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-10-2014, 07:53 PM   #2
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: battery load tester

It will give you an idea, but it won't test the capacity of the battery. If you have a dead cell in a battery, it will show you that. Consider that the average amps used while a cart is running on smooth ground is around 60 amps. The batteries have to supply this current for over an hour!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A handy load tester is the one the battery sits in. Head up hill hard from a stand still and see what the pack drops to..... You just made a 200 amp draw test. Trying to find a weak battery in the pack? Put a hand held meter on each individual battery and repeat up hill test..... record the results... post them here if you need help deciphering them.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:39 PM   #4
plantguy90
Getting Wild

Tried that once,

on one cart with 2 new batteries and 4 old ones, the old ones began about 6.3 but went down to:

A: 5.5
B: 5.5
c: 5.5
d: 5.7

on the other cart, readings went down to:

(haven't got to the other 3 yet)

in all cases upon stopping batteries went back to 6.3-6.5
plantguy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Yep,either the "Hand-Held Meter-Test" or else you will need a Load-Tester capable of drawing at least 1/2 the CCA-Rating of the battery to properly test them.The small handhelds aren't very good for cart batteries.I bought an Electronic one from Snap-On,and I don't trust it.It tests fine one day,then the next time its' way off.A good Carbon-Pile tester is the only way to go if you are testing them out of the cart.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:46 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

What Pachanga says -
I paid more for my load tester than 2 sets of T105s
Old 01-12-2014, 07:15 AM   #7
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
A handy load tester is the one the battery sits in. Head up hill hard from a stand still and see what the pack drops to..... You just made a 200 amp draw test. Trying to find a weak battery in the pack? Put a hand held meter on each individual battery and repeat up hill test..... record the results... post them here if you need help deciphering them.
That's great in theory but without a hill for 30 mile radius, it's pretty much impossible to execute in my area.

It was once suggested I put the cart up against a stationary object like a wall or light pole for load check. I had to remind them how bad an idea that was.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:09 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
That's great in theory but without a hill for 30 mile radius, it's pretty much impossible to execute in my area.

It was once suggested I put the cart up against a stationary object like a wall or light pole for load check. I had to remind them how bad an idea that was.
If you don't have a hill you apply additional load by adding weight to the cart - ask 3 big friends to come over for refreshments and a few short golf cart rides.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO