lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
mr wayne
Not Yet Wild

Default 8 Volt Battery Bucket

I have a 09 precedent with 4-12 volt batteries. I'm going to change over to 6-8 volts. I took out all the batteries and looks like I could get 6-8 volts in there. How can I tell if I have the bucket that will accept 12 or 8 volt batteries? My controller is on the back wall.
Thanks Wayne
mr wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
DJBlade
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 8 Volt Battery Bucket

I think if your controller is on the back wall it is set and ready for 6 - 8 volt batteries. The older style had the controller down the middle and that one isn't ready as it sits for the conversion. Don't know if you have to change out the On Board Computer or not. Maybe others will know.
DJBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
mr wayne
Not Yet Wild

Hey thanks. Tahoedawg said I could use the same charger and controller. So I just sold my 12 volt batteries and its off to the battery store tommorow to pick up 6-8 volt trojan T-875's. Have to find a wiring diagram for 6-8volts though. I,m new at this too. Learning as I go. Gonna try and have 4ga wires made up too as soon as I find out how long they have to be and how many I need. Thanks again.
Wayne
Old 06-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
mr wayne
Not Yet Wild

I just got numbers off my controller. xc1147015410, pn 27540-03, ver 5.3. Don't know what all that means but I would like to know if it is up to date and what amp it is. Also do I have to buy a different hold down?
Wayne
Old 06-18-2012, 12:21 AM   #5
trigger1937
Gone Wild

mr. Wayne,...i have a 2008.5 Precedent and I believe all CC Precedents after that came with the 8 or 12 volt option. I've spent some time at our local CC dealer and he is a great help. The modification is simple and you don't have to do anything to your tub. The wiring is also simple since you are just connecting all batteries in series,...i.e. the negative terminal for the last battery is going to be the ground and is connected to the black 6 GA cable out of the rear controller. Then the + terminal goes to the - terrminal of the next battery bia another 6 GA cable. This continues on to the 6th battery and the + terminal is connected to the RED cable to the controller. You do need new "Hold downs" since the spacing and location of the hold down is now changed. My CC dealer has a kit that includes the hold downs and the threaded connection bar. The bottom of the tub already contains the slots for the new hold downs.

This is other wiring you have to worry about and that is for you lights, horn, control panel, etc. You will probably need a 48 volt to 12 volt converter for you light. You really need to get a complete schematic for your CC and study it very close. It sound like you got this cart used and no telling what the original owner did.
trigger1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:03 AM   #6
mr wayne
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger1937 View Post
mr. Wayne,...i have a 2008.5 Precedent and I believe all CC Precedents after that came with the 8 or 12 volt option. I've spent some time at our local CC dealer and he is a great help. The modification is simple and you don't have to do anything to your tub. The wiring is also simple since you are just connecting all batteries in series,...i.e. the negative terminal for the last battery is going to be the ground and is connected to the black 6 GA cable out of the rear controller. Then the + terminal goes to the - terrminal of the next battery bia another 6 GA cable. This continues on to the 6th battery and the + terminal is connected to the RED cable to the controller. You do need new "Hold downs" since the spacing and location of the hold down is now changed. My CC dealer has a kit that includes the hold downs and the threaded connection bar. The bottom of the tub already contains the slots for the new hold downs.

This is other wiring you have to worry about and that is for you lights, horn, control panel, etc. You will probably need a 48 volt to 12 volt converter for you light. You really need to get a complete schematic for your CC and study it very close. It sound like you got this cart used and no telling what the original owner did.
Thanks for the reply.i have all the new batteries in the tray now. Had to order the new hold downs. Have to get 2 more wires today. Dealer said I could use my old hold down rods. The hold downs should be in today. The cart is used but does,'nt seem to have anything extra.
Thanks Wayne
Old 06-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
trigger1937
Gone Wild

Wayne,... Did your cart have lights already? If so,.. you will have to get a converter to create the +12 volts you just lost.
trigger1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
mr wayne
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger1937 View Post
Wayne,... Did your cart have lights already? If so,.. you will have to get a converter to create the +12 volts you just lost.
No it don't have lights yet. I'm bout to change out the excel harness for a IQ harness. At that time I'm going to also install a light harness. Mine didn't come with a light harness. I also plan to install a 48v to 12v convertor too. I'm looking at GE "FSIP" controllers. Whats the best place to look for the best prices?
Wayne
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car