lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
Golfnut
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default High speed gear for 48 volt

I have a 07, 48 volt. ds will a high speed rear end help with top speed and pulling hills?

Thanks for advice.
Golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Default Re: High speed gear for 48 volt

First off, why don't you tell us a little more about the cart, outside of stock, any modifications, motor, controller?
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
Golfnut
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the response. It is stock as far as I know. It's a Streetrod sold here in The Villages. It will curise at 20 mph which is the speed limit here for carts. However it really struggles up hills and long grades. The Streetrod company tells me that installing the high speed gear will increase the speed to 26 mph and will give me more speed for the hills. Before I spent the money I wondered if anyone had made this change and the results.

Thanks again.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
dougmcp
Gone Wild

A high speed gear will certainly go faster on the flats but you will probably sacrifice some torque and may be even slower on the hills.
If it hasn't already been done, I would start with a 4ga cable upgrade to see if you maintain better speed on the inclines.
I am unfamiliar with a "streetrod" can you be specific in what the cart has, ie: what year, lifted, tire size, rear seat, 4x12v, 6x8v or 8x6v batteries etc.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
Golfnut
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Streetrod is the name given the body style. It's a 2007 Club Car, DS. The frame is cut and extended 8 inches. It has the 6-8 volt batteries. I was told at the dealership the gear would add 6 to 7 mph and would help with climbing the grades. I wondered if anyone had made the change and if the results were what they claim.

Thanks
Old 08-31-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

A gear change CANNOT give BOTH higher speed and better climbing. The only claim they can make on hill climbiing is the fact that as you approach a hill you will be going faster and the added MOMENTUM from the high speed gears will help you START up the hill, but as the grade acts on the cart the HS gears will actually SLOW the cart because of torque losses. Consider a trucker crossing the foothills. He speeds up on the downslope to help him carry the upslope.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
Golfnut
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

That makes sense to me. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
dougmcp
Gone Wild

With all that's been said about no free ride, speed or torque, not both, the Streetrod people are right there in the Villages and should know something about the area and the performance of their carts.
I would let them do the high speed mod with the stipulation that it will work as they say or it's refund city.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car