lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
ksmith247
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Replace cables from batteries to motor?

36 volt E-Z-Go 2005 TXT (I think)

So I had some corrosion issues and my wife picked up a set of 4 ga battery cables today. I installed them and the batteries are now charging.

There are two cables (passenger side) that leave the batteries and go to what I guess is the motor. One of these cables is breaking and needs replacing. I started to take off the cover with the two hex head screws at the top but soon realized that there are two screws at the bottom too! How in the world are you supposed to get to these?

AARGH!

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by ksmith247; 06-16-2009 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: courtesy
ksmith247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
EC-Cartman
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Replace cables from batteries to motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith247 View Post
36 volt E-Z-Go 2005 TXT (I think)

So I had some corrosion issues and my wife picked up a set of 4 ga battery cables today. I installed them and the batteries are now charging.

There are two cables (passenger side) that leave the batteries and go to what I guess is the motor. One of these cables is breaking and needs replacing. I started to take off the cover with the two hex head screws at the top but soon realized that there are two screws at the bottom too! How in the world are you supposed to get to these?

AARGH!

Any advice is appreciated.
1/4" drive 3/8" socket works best with a 9" or so extension. Be careful not to break the wires on the tow/run switch (if you have a tow/run switch)
EC-Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
ksmith247
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC-Cartman View Post
1/4" drive 3/8" socket works best with a 9" or so extension. Be careful not to break the wires on the tow/run switch (if you have a tow/run switch)
I was hoping for some magic words that would pop that cover off or at least open some secret access door. I was afraid that it was just a matter of digging in and busting your knuckles.

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:23 AM   #4
Jibba
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith247 View Post
I was hoping for some magic words that would pop that cover off or at least open some secret access door. I was afraid that it was just a matter of digging in and busting your knuckles.

Thanks.
If there is a run/tow switch put it on tow 1st and then disconnect the battery end of those cables before you take that cover off
Jibba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you take the cover off of the F&R switch also it will give you a little more room for the socket with extension .Definately disconnect that last battery terminal before you do anything .
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:39 PM   #6
ksmith247
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the tips. Along the line of 4 ga , should I replace these old cables with 4 ga or get what appear to be 6 ga? What is the proper term for these cables? They're not battery cables so what are they called?
Old 06-17-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So you're typical stock cables for the batteries ,controller and motor is 6 gauge ,if you going to replace cables anyway then I would suggest the 4 gauge upgrade especially if you plan to do any motor or controller upgrades later .I am by no means an expert on the matter so I would wait for some other replies also .Check the sponsors of this website for complete cable kits they will have something for you .
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:09 PM   #8
hotmomma
Wildly Wicked!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
If there is a run/tow switch put it on tow 1st and then disconnect the battery end of those cables before you take that cover off

Knuckle Bustin' around here? Just dont break a nail!
hotmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:05 PM   #9
raytay
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I removed the cover off mine a couple of weeks ago. I use a 1/4in ratchet and extension and hardly got dirty. So I don't think you have to worry about bustin' a knucle. I may be saying the obvious, but make sure you remove the seat for easy access. The leads from the tow run switch on mine were very short and made it a little difficult to take them loose.
raytay is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO