lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2019, 08:49 PM   #11
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: See anything

That's a good one Stove Make a good song but I did make it back West of Mayberry just fine
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2019, 09:03 PM   #12
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoveBolt View Post
.. Technically I'm not.

Mugged in Mayberry?
Andy will solve the case and make it right, he always does.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:53 AM   #13
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Andy will solve the case and make it right, he always does.
I was not too worried. Not a high crime area here. I hope it stays that way. I do carry just in case

Now for the update with my homemade tester
I timed the engine correct and the compression is still 185 on both cylinders. I really didn't see how it being off one notch was going to make it go up and it didn't.

I don't think carbon is built up on top of piston as it looks clean in exhaust port. I will know more after I remove everything. Maybe this is hopped up 9hp

I will remove head soon and install the two intake valves . I ordered a new OEM carburetor yesterday. Not the $20 that was on it. It should fly when I am finished.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0164.jpg (190.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-12-2019, 03:14 PM   #14
dirtyyoda77
Gone Wild

Club Car

Im just thinking about so stuff that could be wrong do you think they didn't align the balancer with the crank before they put the side cover on or a gear moved this one has me puzzled

If it were me I'd pull the motor down and at a minimum and install new gasket kit and 2 new intake valves
dirtyyoda77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:01 PM   #15
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
I am working on a 295. No telling how much money has been spent trying to make this engine run right before the person called me. I bring out the compression tester and it had a little over 185 pounds of compression on both cylinders , which a on the high side. I decided I had better look closer. My compression tester is accurate also.

After looking under the valve cover I noticed the all too common issue with intake valves showing more threads than the exhaust . I decided to dig more and into it found out it is one notch out of time.. Yet it had almost 190 pounds of compression.

For some reason the pictures are turned to the left. If you look real close though you will see the key way is one notch to the left of mark. Look at 2nd picture. Top cam mark is lined dead on it. My photo work is not very good but I can assure you the top cam is lined up on the money . Someone put it up like this and told him all was good. It continued to run bad and they told him it was nothing else they could do.

Working behind someone that rebuilt this engine last year. This is a first for me with an engine out of time one notch and having 185 pounds of compression.

Maybe its time I do something else Not sure why I say yes when I am retired but I do.
Id like to see part numbers for that timing belt and tensioner. Its dead on for a Nissan 1.2L 4 cylinder I recently did in a Generac generator
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:21 PM   #16
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Ok, here ya go
Timing belt from Ezgo is Part # 26626-G01
Idler from Ezgo is Part # 26628-G01
This engine was out of time one notch. I can assure you.
Look at the picture taken from Ezgo manual It shows the correct way. Look at mine. The top cam gear was lined up perfect. I just couldn't get the entire picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo timing.jpg (97.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Out of time.jpg (144.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-12-2019, 07:23 PM   #17
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyyoda77 View Post
Im just thinking about so stuff that could be wrong do you think they didn't align the balancer with the crank before they put the side cover on or a gear moved this one has me puzzled

If it were me I'd pull the motor down and at a minimum and install new gasket kit and 2 new intake valves
I actually thought about it.
I sure got my doubts.
I got a few engines torn down in my shop that I use for parts.

I could maybe install the crank and balance shaft timed correctly in a case and see what they look like on the outside .

I am trying to think like the person that was working on this engine before me.

Intake valves were worn out and they didn't know it.

They were installing all the extra parts trying to get it run correct.

Sometimes in doing that they removed the timing belt while engine was still in cart and couldn't see good enough to get it in time. Like my investigation The timing belt was also a Dayco so it had one installed at one time for sure .

It sure makes one think when working on one of these Robbins . I see lots of people posting here about backfiring out carburetor .

We always tell them to check compression, clean carb jets and check the intake valves for more threads showing like this one was. Timing belts don't jump a notch and still be tight like this one was

Some of these carts have had lift kits installed and it's next to impossible to remove the Drive Clutch without setting the engine on the table and most don't want to do that. There is just not enough room like CP241 has mentioned before and he was 100 % correct + 1 on CP

Sort of hard to see all that stuff good where you know you got it in time without the Drive clutch removed unless someone knows something I don't , which is not much
Old 05-12-2019, 08:42 PM   #18
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Lol you "could" get the clutch off if you're creative and have a hole saw, and dont care about the frame

But really... I've been in that boat. Sometimes it's best to just tell yourself the person before you is a complete moron (which is usually the case... since it still doesn't work) and just tear everything down and put it back together from scratch. You may never know exactly what they did or missed, but the important thing is that it works when you finish with it
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:33 PM   #19
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyyoda77 View Post

The balance shaft is timed correct. Didn't take but a minute to confirm as I have a block with the balance shaft and crankshaft still in it.
New intake valves installed. Exhaust valves cleaned and lapped in.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO