lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2019, 11:28 AM   #1
catmcaw
Gone Wild

Default Cheap battery load tester?

I see a load tester at harbor freight is $20.00. Anybody ever use one on golf cart batteries?
catmcaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-09-2019, 02:02 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Cheap battery load tester?

It will identify a totally screwed battery, but won't do anything to tell you just how good they are. Won't tell you "ok", "good", "great". It can't put a load on the batteries for long enough to get you great info.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:39 PM   #3
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I bought the 500 amp one they have at Harbour Freight, and it works pretty good. I'll try to find a pic of it.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:45 PM   #4
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It doesn't have a 6 volt setting, but you can dial the amps up to what the battery is rated for and see what the voltage drop is. The 100 amp isn't enough load to really tell anything.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:55 PM   #5
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

Why won't this work? Charge the pack completely. Measure the individual battery voltages. Attach the meter to each battery and drive the cart. Record the voltage under load for each battery. The batteries reading the lowest voltage while driving are the weakest.
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:01 PM   #6
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55BigBlock View Post
Why won't this work? Charge the pack completely. Measure the individual battery voltages. Attach the meter to each battery and drive the cart. Record the voltage under load for each battery. The batteries reading the lowest voltage while driving are the weakest.
It works pretty good as well. I have done that many times. I have just found that tester to be a little easier, and I can dial the load to whatever and see where the breaking point is.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:08 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55BigBlock View Post
That's probably the best way to load test the batteries in your golf cart batteries if you don't have access to an automated load tester for quantitative results such as run time minutes to 1.75VPC.

I use a DVM with a Min/Max function and a short, steep hill close to my place.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:03 PM   #8
catmcaw
Gone Wild

Mgray70, when you talk about dial in and breaking point I see me melting a battery down (ha ha). As little as I know about electricity I better stick to the meter and hill thing.
catmcaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:42 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmcaw View Post
Mgray70, when you talk about dial in and breaking point I see me melting a battery down (ha ha). As little as I know about electricity I better stick to the meter and hill thing.
I recommend the in golf cart test. The meter and hill thing is a very legitimate test. You won't get any false results. I see easy 300 amp draws in the monitor files I scan.
If you have a newer Alltrax controllers collect a monitor file while charging the hill, preferably with 2 friends on the cart and post it here... I looked at a file today where the fella was complaining about a new motor not reaching enough speed. Reviewed files & the 48v pack went from 51 to 37 v with a 300 amp draw. I think we found the problem
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:36 PM   #10
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmcaw View Post
I really didn't mean that literally . You can turn the dial around 200 amps, and watch the volts and see how much they drop. I do it both ways, but this is a handy tool to have. Here is the one I have.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO