lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-21-2015, 09:55 PM   #1
kearney
Not Yet Wild

Default Ez go with 22's. What clutch mods should i do?

I just picked up a 1988 ezgo gas cart. It has a lift and 22 inch tires. This cart won't be used off road. It's mainly for road purposes. I like the takeoff speed and top speed. I just wish it had a little more umph climbing long uphill roads. Is there a specific clutch mod to suit what I'm looking for? Just seems like the engine needs to have a few more rpms on these hills.
kearney is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2015, 06:45 PM   #2
gopher_6_9
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Ez go with 22's. What clutch mods should i do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearney View Post
I just picked up a 1988 ezgo gas cart. It has a lift and 22 inch tires. This cart won't be used off road. It's mainly for road purposes. I like the takeoff speed and top speed. I just wish it had a little more umph climbing long uphill roads. Is there a specific clutch mod to suit what I'm looking for? Just seems like the engine needs to have a few more rpms on these hills.
Maybe a little more info on the motor. Anything been done to it? Governor still in place? Condition of belt and clutches? Is it running good? Open to modifications to the motor?

From my experience with my cart, and aa few more over the years, the stock clutching tends to be good with the stock motor. Still trying to get right after a clone swap, but stock motor it was pretty good.
gopher_6_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:48 PM   #3
kearney
Not Yet Wild

engine looks stock as far as i can tell. PSI is about 115. brand new belt. The cable from the throttle linkage to the clutch lever thing is disconnected, i assume that's the only governor. The clutches seem to be ok just watching them work on stands.

Its just that i have nothing to compare it to to make sure its running at full potential. if im going along a flat road and hit an incline it just seems like the motor bogs to much. I would think that the motor should still be at the same rpms but just loose a little power going up hills.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:34 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Best thing is make sure the clutches are working right and clean/lubed though some don't get lubed. Check the secondary spring and ramps, many never look at them but that is what downshifts (backshifts) for hills or when you floor it. It makes it rev up, so that could have issues causing this if its not working normally. Also any springs in the clutches do get weak with old age, so if your cart is 20yr or better odds are if the springs are stock they should be replaced. Another thing is make sure the engine mounts are good and it can't move under high torque conditions. I don't know if your ezgo has issues with that but some carts do. If the engine moves towards the trans it will make it bog down.

Some ezgo you can get performance springs and even a different helix for the secondary.

One last thing is alum sheaves on the clutches do wear. If they are dished out from wear it will never work right you have to replace them. You will see a groove where the belt has been wearing them. You can try to find a belt 1/16" wider and try that it helps on yamahas.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:16 AM   #5
kearney
Not Yet Wild

Yeah i checked the motor mounts the other day and they are shot. I ordered some.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:46 PM   #6
kearney
Not Yet Wild

New mounts in and it's a ton better.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts