lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2023, 07:43 PM   #1
Beachlyfe24
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Question 2009 Columbia Par Car Fuse Blowing

My 09 Columbia Par Car keeps blowing the 10A fuse on the wire that plugs into the Sevcon Controller - this started after fully charging one day. I turned the light switch on and turned the the key on - pop! fuse blew.

This causes all lights, horn, speedometer, turn signals all to be inoperable.

I understand fuses are installed for preventing other major issues, however, I am no electrician and donít know where to go next.

Attached is the wire diagram. I believe it is fuse #17 that I am blowing.

Any ideas on where to start or how to diagnose??

Has anyone had this issue?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6529.jpg (344.9 KB, 0 views)
Beachlyfe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2023, 02:10 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2009 Columbia Par Car Fuse Blowing

Try disconnecting the DC converter and see if the fuse still blows. If not, then replace the converter. That diagram is not really enough to follow the fuse circuit. Do you have any details as to what that fuse protects as that would give more of a clue where to look.
Cartmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 09:55 AM   #3
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

There isn't a 10A fuse that goes to the controller. Attached is the actual schematic instead of the wiring diagram for both the main controller and cart, and for the 12 volt whether you have the convertor or without.
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 03:44 PM   #4
Beachlyfe24
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Hi Tech - thank you for the diagrams.

I wasnít able to figure out the issue yet but I have some photos and hoping you can help guide me on which diagram to look at further. Attached is an image of fuse that continues to blow and where the wires connect. From what I can see, the black wire connects to the Negative on the Sevcon controller and the red wire connects to another device on the side of the motor. The fuse is the first 10amp on the red wire from top arrow on the image.

When this fuse blows, the lights, horn, turn signals are what stops working. This first happened after a full charge, I turned on the cart and the fuse blew when I turned on the headlights.

Any idea?? Thanks for all suggestions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6642.jpg (134.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-07-2023, 05:39 PM   #5
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

The 10A fuse that goes to the DC convertor isn't supposed to be wired to the contactor (that device to the passenger side of the controller, where in the old days of the US we simply called it a solenoid) so you might be looking at the wrong harness, or someone has changed the wiring on you. It's supposed to turn on and off with the keyswitch where it gets it on and off from and the red wire would go to the battery pack not the contactor.

That said, the switch was known for failing on that half of the switch so someone may have rewired instead of replacing the switch, so that it goes on and off with the contactor (down side is lights would turn off if sitting somewhere with no activity for 20 seconds) which would probably be fine in most cases.

Now as cartmaster said, easiest way to eliminate the 12 volt side is to unplug the converter and see if it still blows the fuse. Those converter so fail after a period of time and they blow that fuse. Part number for a new one is CVG760378 but be warned they list out at $369.67 https://evtechnicalservices.com/onli...60378-69642-05

If the fuse is still blowing with that unplugged, go back under the cart and check that harness with the fuse in it. The harness is run right under the battery pack and it's also known to be subject to corrosion from the batteries then damaging the wiring and shorting out the wires.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:38 PM   #6
Beachlyfe24
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Tech - any idea where the Converter is typically mounted? Only place I havenít check is under the hood/dash area - however, I could be missing it under the seat with the amount of wires and cables.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:44 PM   #7
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

P5 and SU5 converter isbin fron under hood mounted to firewall on the left side.
Old 07-13-2023, 07:34 AM   #8
inairam
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

on my suv-l it was mounted under a cross member under the back plates. It took me a long time to find it and it was by accident that i did.
inairam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 02:33 PM   #9
Beachlyfe24
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by inairam View Post
on my suv-l it was mounted under a cross member under the back plates. It took me a long time to find it and it was by accident that i did.
This is where I found the converter on my SU2. Mounted under the back seat on the cross bar above the motor.
Old 07-18-2023, 02:34 PM   #10
Beachlyfe24
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Support View Post
The 10A fuse that goes to the DC convertor isn't supposed to be wired to the contactor (that device to the passenger side of the controller, where in the old days of the US we simply called it a solenoid) so you might be looking at the wrong harness, or someone has changed the wiring on you. It's supposed to turn on and off with the keyswitch where it gets it on and off from and the red wire would go to the battery pack not the contactor.

That said, the switch was known for failing on that half of the switch so someone may have rewired instead of replacing the switch, so that it goes on and off with the contactor (down side is lights would turn off if sitting somewhere with no activity for 20 seconds) which would probably be fine in most cases.

Now as cartmaster said, easiest way to eliminate the 12 volt side is to unplug the converter and see if it still blows the fuse. Those converter so fail after a period of time and they blow that fuse. Part number for a new one is CVG760378 but be warned they list out at $369.67 https://evtechnicalservices.com/onli...60378-69642-05

If the fuse is still blowing with that unplugged, go back under the cart and check that harness with the fuse in it. The harness is run right under the battery pack and it's also known to be subject to corrosion from the batteries then damaging the wiring and shorting out the wires.
Thank you, Tech!

After unplugging the converter and turning on the cart, the fuse didnít blow. Based on all of your help, I guess I need to pony up on a new converter - any other advice before I drops the $400?

Tags
columbia, electrical, fuse
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar