lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #21
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForBruce View Post
you can buy fuse here
Is this recommended to do and what will it help avoid installing one?
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #22
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

****, sorry to hear this! Give me a call whenever you get this situation straight. I want to get the wheels/tires for sure.
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #23
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
Is this recommended to do and what will it help avoid installing one?
yes. if your power system experiences a high current fault, say you drop a wrench across 2 live connections or your controller fails in a shorted state, etc, the fuse will blow. this breaks the circuit so no current can no longer flow.

think im going to install my Emergency Disconnect switch in bit.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #24
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForBruce View Post
you can buy fuse here
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
yes. if your power system experiences a high current fault, say you drop a wrench across 2 live connections or your controller fails in a shorted state, etc, the fuse will blow. this breaks the circuit so no current can no longer flow.

think im going to install my Emergency Disconnect switch in bit.
-sj
Is this the only type and place to buy this (link in post #20)? Also, where does this get connected too?

I also like the cut off switch you posted and wonder which one would work for a stock 05 CC Precedent?

Would the fuse work as good as the switch or would you use both of these?
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #25
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

evdrives (the place with the $23 switch) has the best prices i have found for this sorta stuff. heres a link to the fuses. link

the switch will work on any electric cart including precident.

ideally both. components can fail in a manner that does not pull enough current to blow the fuse. ie: a stuck throttle.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:43 PM   #26
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

CJ, a controller failure of that magnatude....jeeze man who would ever think......i,m glad for you and the owner at least things should be paid for.......................keep me updated..........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #27
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Fire - Failed New Alltrax

Hey Folks I am back with a report......

Ok, We have 100% complete and total Alltrax failure!!!!! The firewall actually saved a few things....

What is confirmed bad...

Body and inner fender liner
Rear seat back
Front seat rear is scorched but saveable.
Under seat tray
Controller
Speaker gone
Seatbelts gone
OBC??? not sure

I think the wiring harness is ok.
All 2 gauge cables are ok
Solenoid I suspect is good
Batteries are perfectly fine
Votage reducer good...
Motor is good and tested...

So what happened is this, the controller failed on it's own from what looks like a complete dead short internally... The controller was fused at the battery pack and the fused completely blew inside and melted as it should have saving everything else.

As I installed this all yesterday, with split lock washers. There is ZERO loose cables, everything is Super tight, in fact when looking at all connections including those on the controller, they are clean, there is zero melting or burn marks, no cables kinked or rubbing against metal....

The motor looks like hell but is only melted plastic that fell down on to the motor, i disconnected all of the cables and wired it to a separate power source, motor turns smooth and free..

So here is a link to all of the pictures.... and a close of up the actual damage...

Cart BBQ Slide Show
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0302.jpg (181.6 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0303.jpg (63.1 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0304.jpg (201.5 KB, 109 views)
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #28
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Wow! nice pics. Did you talk to Rich or one of the guys at Alltrax yet? I hope the make it right.
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #29
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
Wow! nice pics. Did you talk to Rich or one of the guys at Alltrax yet? I hope the make it right.
I talked to rich earlier, and just sent this to Rich at Alltrax, they are good people so we need to give them a chance to respond.

Rich,

As I spoke to you this afternoon this is what I have found.... The controller in question is new.. I purchased from my supplier on the 19th.. The controller was installed yesterday. The controller is a DCX500 IQ. with a 400 amp solenoid, 2 gauge welding cable, crimped and soldered, all wire connections have lock washers, fused at the battery, pre-charge resistor and diode on the solenoid.

The cart was driven all day yesterday without issues. Charged overnight, drove this morning, charged today and then caught fire this afternoon while driving, it was not being pushed hard as it was simply crossing the street with a mother driving her 5th grader and infant home from school.

The fire department documented in their report a failed controller. I have brought the cart back to my shop and have done a thorough and complete inspection. Fire started inside the controller, from what I suspect is a complete dead short. The fuse at the battery pack blew saving the a more catastrophic failure. Upon close inspection.. There are no damaged or kinked cables, all cable sheath is intact. The solenoid has zero hot spots, all connections, on the batteries, solenoid and even the controller itself are tight and not burned, in fact, in one picture you can see that cables that connect to the controller did not melt any plastic or have any burn marks, further ruling out the cabling or install issues. All batteries were tested, no issues, all batteries are fully charged and the pack is at 51 volts, the motor is perfect, it looks like hell from the plastic melting and dropping on it, but I disconnected all cables from the motor and connected it to an external power source, the motor turns the tires just fine, no issues, no noise, no heat marks, just zero issues.

So what we have is a complete failure of an new controller, not an install issue, motor issue, solenoid or battery issue.

So what we need to know is what Alltrax is going to do about this and the damage to the rest of the cart.

What is confirmed bad...

Body
Speakers
seat belts melted
rear seat back burned
Underseat tray
Inner fender liner
OBC?
Solenoid?

Here are the pictures in this following link... You can hover over the bottom and pause the pictures if needed.
http://rides.webshots.com/slideshow/581086029ueDDaS

and here is the folder where you can click on each picture and blow them up full screen
http://rides.webshots.com/album/581086029ueDDaS

Troy
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #30
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

That SUCKS!!!! Hope all turns out well... Let me know if I can help you with anything!
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car