lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
Trackside
Not Yet Wild

Question G1 Questions

Hey guys,
I just recently purchased a G1 (Year unknown) But I believe it's a late 80's Early 90's model. 1 Cylinder 2 Stroke Model. It seems low on power. What can I do do help it out some besides the basic tune up & Muffler BBQ that I hear about? Also its seems to lag when I try to start it up. After I press the gas pedal down it takes a few seconds before she will start, this is the same for either forward or reverse. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Do seals help that much in adding / restoring power? What else is recommended for alittle more umph besides all the basics?

I also just noticed that the linkage from the butteryfly in the exhaust to the side of the engine is missing? What is that valve for? and does wiring it open or removing the butterfly help with performance?

Also what Oil do you guys use or recommend? Does anyone here use redline 2 Stroke oils?
Trackside is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
2HawkFans
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Questions

First, welcome to BGW!

I just got a G1 a few months ago and a short time later the linkage end fell off the butterfly valve. It definitely will make it short on power. I'd try wiring it open to see how the performance changes. If you have access to a compression tester that will give you some additional information.

I'll be curious on what the responses are to which oil everyone prefers as I've wondered that too.

Check the square tubing frame above the rear mud flaps (usually left side, but mine was on right) for stamped serial numbers. It should also be on the engine housing near the flywheel. There is a sticky for serial number lookup and you can find out the year of your cart.

Keep asking the questions and you'll receive much help. This is a great group!
2HawkFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
Trackside
Not Yet Wild

Brad,
Thanks for the reply, In regards to the Serial Number, that is no longer Identifiable, as it seems it has seems some harsh weather (Purchased it in NH) and the square tubing on the frame is rotting away. One thing I will be replacing SOON. I know that the linkage is still offered so I think I may just order it up and install it
Old 09-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
2HawkFans
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Hang on to your socks if you buy new parts (thankfully they are available) as they will be a bit pricey in my opinion. If you can find a cart salvage yard for one it might be a good route.

If you stand on the passenger side facing the motor, look on the aluminum housing on the left by the plastic fan housing. You should see a flat area that will also have the serial number stamped there. If the motor is the original it will have the same serial number.

Brad
2HawkFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
Trackside
Not Yet Wild

Thanks I will check that out in the AM, as I am Heading out tonight to Budds Creek for a Race, and taking it with me. (Loaded up in the Truck Already)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha