lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2018, 10:00 AM   #1
cobolnofun
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Key Switch - Signal Wire Question

So I just got done hooking up a voltage reducer, headlights, turn signals, etc… All went well enough. Last night I finished up and hooked up the battery pack back up. When I hooked up the voltage reducer to the pack I had some exciting sparks; at first I figured it were capacitors or whatever this first time but then quickly realized everything worked! This is bad because the key was off. I unhooked the key signal wire for the voltage regulator and left everything else. Accessories are off. I touch to the positive terminal, Accessories turn on. So it is my key wiring, specifically my volt meter was providing power to the signal wire.

So it is a 90 36v ds resistor cart.

The key switch wiring goes:

Pack negative has a white wire going to the charging port. From that same post I have a thin red wire going to one side of the switch. So this is the negative side.

From the other side of the switch I have thing blue wire going to the F&R micro switch. The other side of that switch is yellow to the solenoid. The other side of the solenoid is green to the vglide.

So in theory the key only gets positive when the cart is in Forward or Reverse?

When I hooked up the volt meter I ran a hot wire to the volt meter, than took the negative to the blue wire on the switch. I feel like I could just put the signal wire for the volt reducer to the other side of the key switch and all will be well. But after looking at this last night it seems wrong and i probably should have a positive wired to another positive.

Is there some way to get positive out of the key switch without being in F/R?
cobolnofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2018, 01:11 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Key Switch - Signal Wire Question

If I read this correctly you have one of the rare carts with negative current through the key switch. This keyswitch never sees (+). The reducer on/off trigger wire must connect to positive, not negative.
In this case there are 2 alternatives.

Provide a separate toggle switched 36v positive for the trigger wire connection.

Install a switch relay which can use the (-) from your keyswitch to complete a (+) connection to the trigger wire.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:18 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

In addition to what Scottyb said, You must also have the micro-switch in the VGlide mis-wired or by-passed since the only way to get the positive voltage through the Solenoid coil to trigger the converter when the key switch was OFF is if the Pedal was pressed.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 03:51 PM   #4
cobolnofun
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
If I read this correctly you have one of the rare carts with negative current through the key switch.
YAY i am special!

sigh.

So for a voltage reducer signal wire and a volt meter.... do you think i would need to have a switch or relay designated for 36 volts or would the amperage be so low it not really matter?

Because i think i have a light wiring harness that has a 40amp 12 volt relay, and tons of 12 volt switches from over the years.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:54 PM   #5
cobolnofun
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
In addition to what Scottyb said, You must also have the micro-switch in the VGlide mis-wired or by-passed since the only way to get the positive voltage through the Solenoid coil to trigger the converter when the key switch was OFF is if the Pedal was pressed.
i was getting the positive voltage through my volt meter. Months ago i wired it up to be positive to the volt meter, and negative to the blue wire on the key switch.

After last night i now realize why i had so many problems with wiring that.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:10 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

It is probably easier to re-wire the cart for a positive key switch.
Disconnect the 2 wires from the key switch and splice them together.

Run 2 new wires from the key switch to the FNR switch.

Disconnect the red wire from the FNR that goes to the VGlide micro-switch.

Connect one of the wires from the Key Switch to where that wire was connected.

This will be the "Hot Side" or the always ON side of the key switch.

Connect the other wire from the key-switch to the wire that goes to the VGlide, that will be the "Cold Side" or the side of the Key Switch that only gets power when the switch is ON.

You can now wire any accessories: Voltmeter or Converter to your new positive key switch.

Use different color wires (or tape the ends of the wires with different colored tape) for easy identification.

Use the diagram below for reference:

Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:30 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

LOL
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:19 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
It is probably easier to re-wire the cart for a positive key switch.
Disconnect the 2 wires from the key switch and splice them together.

Run 2 new wires from the key switch to the FNR switch.

Disconnect the red wire from the FNR that goes to the VGlide micro-switch.

Connect one of the wires from the Key Switch to where that wire was connected.

This will be the "Hot Side" or the always ON side of the key switch.

Connect the other wire from the key-switch to the wire that goes to the VGlide, that will be the "Cold Side" or the side of the Key Switch that only gets power when the switch is ON.

You can now wire any accessories: Voltmeter or Converter to your new positive key switch.

Use different color wires (or tape the ends of the wires with different colored tape) for easy identification.
I was fixing to say all of that but you beat me to it...

Sergio, I swear, one day you are going to tell us you retired as the Club Car Design Engineer or Electrical Engineer, as there is just no way you can know all you do and not be plugged into them (Club Car) in some way....

I do not want to make your head swell, but I am a better trouble shooter and have a better understanding of many things from your writings and recommendations... No one ever says those 2 little words as often as they should, but "Thank You" for what you do and share with all the rest of us...
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:58 PM   #9
swm63
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
"Thank You" for what you do and share with all the rest of us...
+1
swm63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:16 AM   #10
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by swm63 View Post
+1
+2
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car